Large beech, will it coppice? Do I fell?

Stereo

Lets say there were a pair of beech trees, say5' in diameter and maye 80 foot tall. They are out of the way and have started to drop limbs. Nobody appreciates these trees apart from me, the owner(though they are amazing to behold).

What's the view of this. If they are felled is that it? Will the stumps coppice? Is it just plain wrong to down such a wonderful creation? Or is it pragmatic and practical and a source of fuel from a tree which has probably grown all it is going to?

I'm torn between the 2. For 1 I love to look at them standing like sentries, guarding the wood. On the other hand I see a year's worth of heating for my house and a whole load of sunlight cast on the forest floor to encourage new growth.

Sorry but that sounds like you going to fell 2 beech trees so you can heat your house for free.But are hoping to they will grow so you wont get in much bother.

That's just the way i have read it.Just my 2 cent

Down to the question in my little time in arb i have never seen a beech re-grow and that hight and age.I have seen small beech's that have been looked after year after year and have been used for the wood every 8years

Very unlikely to give any significant regrowth. The removal of beech in a mixed woodland is seen as a good thing as they tend to out compete many other species and the leaf litter suppresses other ground flora. You could also go to a third option, space, targets and owner permitting. That is to allow them to collapse over time- gives a range of ariel habitats and a regular supply of firewood to "tidy up".

Nope, not at the size and maturity of them from what you say.

5' dbh x 80' high sounds like a huge pair of trees, would have thought they would heat your house for ages?

What about tpo's, listed / conservation area issues, and the fact they sound like a superb pair of mature / veteran trees that probably have a lot of ecological and aesthetic value to many?? Would be a real shame to lose them without good reason in my opinion

Sounds like nature is already thinning them out a bit to allow sunlight through plus providing you with fuel by dropping the occasional limb.

How do you know nobody else appreciates them? I see many fine trees about but I don't seek out the owner to compliment them on their trees.

Your trees, your call. But you will miss them when they're gone.

Pollards? If they are your trees and you want the wood and to keep them alive it is an option that has been used for hundreds of years. If you pollard them now, imagine how cool they would look in 50 to 100 years as old lapsed pollards. Then again they probably look just as cool now so you can appreciate them in your lifetime. :confused1:

Pollards? If they are your trees and you want the wood and to keep them alive it is an option that has been used for hundreds of years. If you pollard them now, imagine how cool they would look in 50 to 100 years as old lapsed pollards. Then again they probably look just as cool now so you can appreciate them in your lifetime. :confused1:

Unlikely that maiden Beeches of this size & age would Pollard Ben.

Bringing them down in stages is a possibilty though.

I had to remove two large beech trees from near by house about 4 years ago, i left the stumps quite high. The smaller tree stump has a large amount of shoots going bonkers from the stump, it now looks like a 5ft beech bush. The other as was suspected was rotten in the centre and has done nothing but provide seating when my dad is making kindling.

From what i have seen over the last 4 years i think it will be a long time before any significant tree would grow from the coppiced stumps.

I have loads of huge trees around me that would keep me in firewood for years and provide a great income if i were to sell the logs but if the trees are healthy and amazing to behold then i do not think this is any excuse to fell them. Even reducing them is going to take away from the sight of them isnt it!