Inonotus on Ash....

sean

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, not this type of necrosis associated with I. hispidus, only the type of fungal or bacterial bark canker I spoke of before.

funny really cos its a symptom i associate with very late stages here, i dont tend to worry (about stem failures) unless the necroses has started to cause helical cracks!

sorry hama think i put my point across wrong:blush:

i had this vision of an ash with hispidus in a nursery/kindergarten play area leaning over a fence towards a busy main road (these trees exist i have pics somewhere)

the point then being about high risk in heavy branch failure vs whole tree failure, but in this situation does the position of the tree (tis about 45') mean that it becomes a high risk?

i think "risk" as a word differs from situation to situation and cannot just be classified as high, low, moderate etc

i do agree with you on the natural pollarding being "less" of a risk than tree failure but at what point does this branch failure become to "high" of a risk to save the tree?

does that kinda make sense:confused1:

ehem:blush:

its a symptom i associate with very late stages here

Maybe the ecological niche of the endomycorrhizal ash in the U.K. differs from the habitat of the tree species specific ecosytem of Fraxinus in The Netherlands and Germany, as also seems to hold for I. dryadeus and the ectomycorrhizal Q. robur or Castanea ?

Originally Posted

by RobArb

sorry hama think i put my point across wrong

i had this vision of an ash with hispidus in a nursery/kindergarten play area leaning over a fence towards a busy main road (these trees exist i have pics somewhere)

the point then being about high risk in heavy branch failure vs whole tree failure, but in this situation does the position of the tree (tis about 45') mean that it becomes a high risk?

i think "risk" as a word differs from situation to situation and cannot just be classified as high, low, moderate etc

i do agree with you on the natural pollarding being "less" of a risk than tree failure but at what point does this branch failure become to "high" of a risk to save the tree?

does that kinda make sense

sorry robarb only just seen this! of course you saying that makes sense. You describe a situation that makes retention almost impossible!:001_tt2:

Maybe the ecological niche of the endomycorrhizal ash in the U.K. differs from the habitat of the tree species specific ecosytem of Fraxinus in The Netherlands and Germany, as also seems to hold for I. dryadeus and the ectomycorrhizal Q. robur or Castanea ?

indeed, I think as more of us communicate across vast distances and share our individual "natural neighbourhoods" we will discover many strange and unique tree species specific eco systems. maybe the u.k being isolated and a small body in an otherwise sea we dont have the same consitency you have on the continent? who knows, but one things certain, me and thee have some very different experiences of certain fungi:001_cool: