Silky slip!

RobRainford

Had my first injury where I've had to stop today, reducing an oak, on my way back up after lunch. 2/3 of it done, cutting and holding one branch, over a conservatory. So it was all like that, branch starts to fall so I keep hold while I finish the cut, don't know how, but my new sharp sugoi found my left index and middle finger. Few seconds and realised what happened, thought about carrying on, then came the blood!

Instant change to self rescue, luckily I was low down so took less than a minute to be on the ground and being dealt with, tap on the wall so washed with that, sat down and had arm held up in the air, one guy was first aider and customer had a huge bag of first aid gear, I had one with me but only the little stein ones, not good for an injury like this. The shock hit me as I sat down and was close to passing out, had some paracetamol and lucozade to bring me back to normal and they helped. Got myself bandaged up and then other guys packed kit away, I helped where I could.

I feel bad because I've left a job half done and had to finish early! But number one is most important! Didn't get any pics of the injury, will do in a day or two once the bandages are off.

Went to the walk in centre and they just put some steri strips on my middle finger as that was deeper, index was on the knuckle and had already closed so just cleaned and bandaged.

Out of action for a couple of days, should be ok by weds I hope.

568f17a0-220a-5867.jpg

568f17a0-2234-153b.jpg

Picture of the tree, customer is already happy with how it is, loads of light now, been a bit harder than I liked on the far left hand side, could only tell on the ground!

568f17a0-2256-64dd.jpg

Whoopsie daisy!

Stay safe guys!

Edited by RobRainford

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Struggling to see how you managed to do that whilst cutting and holding?

Take it your not good with blood if you nearly passed out? lol

I never use a silky, 020 all the way, strangley i think there safer.

Should of plastered it up and carried on :001_tongue: Ive used electrical tape to tape up cuts before, proper sticky stuff.

Edited by Tree Man Tom

you big girl:001_tt2: those silky cuts can be pretty nasty, some say silky's are more dangerous than chainsaws and i'd agree to some extent. hope you heel well.

just for future reference, carry a reel of electricians tape (the black insulation tape), it does wonders at closing wounds.... at least long enough to finish the job anyway!

you big girl:001_tt2: those silky cuts can be pretty nasty, some say silky's are more dangerous than chainsaws and i'd agree to some extent. hope you heel well.

just for future reference, carry a reel of electricians tape (the black insulation tape), it does wonders at closing wounds.... at least long enough to finish the job anyway!

I just edited my post to include electrical tape then saw you had said it to. Not just me on that one then :thumbup:

I do have some tape, I'm ok with blood but I took a good look at the cut which was putting out a bit and made me go light headed! I thought it's best to stop and sort it out. The tree is always there and I'm not losing money by coming back another day!

I'll be investing in a more substantial first aid kit now!

Need new gloves now *grumble* :biggrin: