Td5 starting problems

A non return valve is a cheap short term fix for that. The diesel system is highly pressurised, and you have an inherent problem if the pressure is not being kept overnight.

It seems to make no difference if the engines hot or cold...I have a feeling it could be electrical but I'm no mechanic

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar problem on my disco td5, went thro every thing replacing pump, filter plus housing, regulator and finally traced the problem to be injector washers. Spent over £300 and a lot of time. The job to replace the washers was not difficult and they cost nothing in comparision.

It could be dozen or more things, I would suggest you take it to a garage and get it plugged in, you could spend a lot of money chaging many things which is only guess work at the moment.

unfortunatly, with or without diagnostics it may well be 'guess work' unless you find an obvious air leak, the diagnostics will probably throw up lots of fault codes, most will be nothing to do with your starting problem!!! as said, using one way valves can narrow it down if it is an air leak, try bumping it an see how it starts..... has an engine management light.... (yellow) ever come on whilst turning over & not starting??

Easy cheap things to do are replace the fuel filter behind the drivers rear wheel as this gets binges up easily. When changed or even before you can prime the fuel system. Turn the ignition on and press the throttle down 6 times, you will then hear the pump priming the system. Once finished priming try starting her again.

You can unplug the air mass plug by the air filter and see how she starts then as if it's failing it will run better unplugged. Also on the inlet manifold there is a little plug with a sensor in the manifold. You can undo the two screws and it may be totally gummed up due to the egr.

If the ecu is defo oil free then hopefully one of the above will make a difference to the running to give you an idea of where to go next.

I do recommend getting her plugged in at a diagnostic garage and for £25 the comptuers cleared and go from there.

Hope this helps

the hp diesel is only post injection pump or hp pump and common rail, the back leak is an inherent fault in many diesels and most are cured by non return valves, there are a number of reasons for leak back depending on the pipework, joints, and lift pumps, mostly tiny tiny pin holes in pipes, seals and pump diaphrams

• 6 months later...

even googling td5 starter problems i cant escape arbtalk lol. Having starter problems with mine at the mo but only when its cold, it will attempt to start run poorly and then cut out but if i catch it give it some revs it then picks up and idles like normal. starts when warm or fine during the day (if been driven that day) only problems in the morning after a nights sleep. going to get the ecu read, but any help much appreciated

Leak in fuel lines ?not sure on defenders but

A problem with discos where they rub in chassis

By the tank. If it's cold n having problems

Starting unless u catch it,may it not be a dodgy

Battery? Changed mine last wk and it seems to fire

Up quicker than you can turn the key. B4 it took a

Couple of cranks and foot flat to the floor to catch n fire up.