Hornets

Paulfreebury

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

597669ff9b25b_Lusso104.jpg.5d7627e2c8a1661b1c5bbf6257fb035a.jpg

597669ff9e10a_Lusso105.jpg.5e6d108bb81fe3207bb83c4680f3268b.jpg

If they had built anywhere else I would just have left both wasps and Hornets alone but unfortunately we have a bunch of kids coming to use the cabin this weekend so I shall attempt to move the nests.

I have selected two hollow stumps in the yard about a mile from where they are.

I see on the web that Hornets do attck wasp nests and use the grubs for their own so I presume that the building of the nest next to a wasp nest was deliberate as an easy food source. Has anyone seen this before?

So tonight is the night! If you do not see anymore posts from Billhook you will know he has ended up like the photos in the previous post!

By the was Hornets seem to be more active and have better night vision than wasps. Is this true?

Billhook survived and lives to tell the tale!

Not. Nearly as bad as I thought. Dressed up in beekeeping clothes and tackled the Hornets nest first with about fifty Hornets inside. Put a strong clear plastic bag over it and gently pulled the nest from the beam and put it into a waiting cool box. Not one Hornet even tried to sting or even buzz me as there were one or two still outside the bag. Took them to their new home and they were a little more agitated when I tipped them out of the bag but still none actually came for me. Gas nailed a board over the hole in the stump leaving them with a mouse hole at the other end. Will report on developments.

The wasps nest just fell apart and the wasps were particularly dopey. I feel that the nest had been nailed by the Hornets. I put the remains in another tree but they looked very slow and lacking in energy and I do not think they will survive.

I saw a program a while back about European bees being introduced to Japan to increase honey supplies; suffice to say they didn't stand a chance against the Asian hornet.

However the Japanese honey bee, although rubbish at producing honey, has nailed how to deal with an Asian hornet, they simply gang up on it, and I mean literally ON it, and vibrate their bodies to bring the temperature up to about 48 degrees (I think) and said hornet dies; however Japanese honey bees die at about 49 degrees-ish so they have to depart pretty lively or they die too.

Bloody clever thing this Nature.......