A oak stuck in a pond today

Ross Macneil

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wish,Took down a chestnut just a little bit smaller today aswell going for firewood. shame.

Big chestnut always seems to be shakey. I've done some big ones 24-36" at the butt some have been ring shaken to firewood pile. The others have been ok. I have a 6' log thats 3' at the small end with a bit of star in it but no ring. Going to make something nice from that.

Yea that's the one. it's got hell of a pull, it also has remote control. would recommend them to anyone, have you used them?

Nope. I was very impressed with them at the APF and the price is fantastic. Riko would do me one with the remote for 5800+vat. I'm hoping to replace a 6.5 tonne fransgard. Does the cable lay on the drum ok, get lots pinches on the cable?

Sorry to derail but not many people get big winches.

Nope. I was very impressed with them at the APF and the price is fantastic. Riko would do me one with the remote for 5800+vat. I'm hoping to replace a 6.5 tonne fransgard. Does the cable lay on the drum ok, get lots pinches on the cable?

Sorry to derail but not many people get big winches.

You do get a lot of pinches,and hard to pull out when wet but that is with most winches.I would get one it can pull anything, try FMS forestry services they were a bit cheaper than riko.

Thats what every one thinks!!

Unfortunately no one ever comes up with the cash :001_rolleyes:

Ain't that the sad truth Huck.

The last 5 Oak butts we sent to be milled on behalf of a client fetched less than the value of the firewood, but fair play to the bloke, he wanted them to make stuff.

Nice job Ross. Bet you were over your welly tops there!

Really! I would have bet that was worth a small fortune!

The thing with having all those branches coming off the trunk is they mess up the grain and cause the timber to warp when it dries. That's why you don't get useable timber coming off trees felled in parks or other open spaces, no matter how big they are.

Having said that, I reckon there are some clear sections of trunk on that which could be split for roofing shingles.