Cutting and holding!

Mozza

There's no need, if a branch is light enough to hold then its thin enough to cut with a silky, I tend to undercut with the 020 then silky the top. If you've already cut the end off and its a thick stub ie too thick for the silky then an upside down step cut will do.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you syaing that people who cut and hold dont live a full and happy life?........

.......your probably right.

You know I am, they will wast to much time trying to justife the risk in the heads, waking up screaming... or if they don't then Darwin's theory recons on upping the states count.

There's no need, if a branch is light enough to hold then its thin enough to cut with a silky, I tend to undercut with the 020 then silky the top. If you've already cut the end off and its a thick stub ie too thick for the silky then an upside down step cut will do.

senceable polices for a happier Britain

I use mostly step cuts, find if i do 3 in a row break em off seperatly after ive put the saw down its a lot faster than cut and hold and safer,,,,i do use a saw one handed alot,dont see it as a problem as long as your out of the kick back zone.

watching people doing cut and hold makes me cringe ,ive seen three guys with serious cuts and watch two happen as the saw slid down the branch out of the cut on to there branch holding hand.

If you have got a brain you should be able to work round the situation and plan ahead right from the moment you see the tree, weather thats quoteing or doing your risk assessment when you get sent to the job site.

It's not always possible to win quotes doing things to the book Alex. Sometimes doing shortcuts could make a two day job into one day.

Money talks, ask the lopper and Toppers :001_tongue:

Any one who cut and holds and justifes it as the only way to get on etc,

I don't think anyone is saying its the only way to get on! I love rigging so I would use that whenever I can.

All I'm saying is that it happens and it may not be as dangerous as it looks, but should still be avoided.

It's not always possible to win quotes doing things to the book Alex. Sometimes doing shortcuts could make a two day job into one day.

Money talks, ask the lopper and Toppers :001_tongue:

I suggest you try and win hose quotes by being clever and see what others have missed, plan avoid a big mess and damage client tickled pink and the word spreads, you will then find your self with more and more job where you are not quoteing aganist any one because they want you to do the job.

If money talks you need to sell your self and tell the cleint the difference between you and the loppers and toppers, and the extra cost they can bring. eg damage, mess, crap job, f**k trees that will contiune to need more money spent on them, TPO fines, no insurance.... the list gose on.

I don't think anyone is saying its the only way to get on! I love rigging so I would use that whenever I can.

All I'm saying is that it happens and it may not be as dangerous as it looks, but should still be avoided.

Some block heads do I'm sorry to say!