Restoration Pruning

RobArb

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Fascinating subject!

I agree those bumps are bundles of meristematic tissue, often associated with ray cells.

Yes often dormant buds are visible with a hand lens or even the naked eye.

"Endocormic" I will take the blame for coinage, 2002. I've tried to get it into glossaries but just get funny e-looks when I suggest it. Refers to growth from dormant buds, which are connected to the "corm" via bud traces aka pith trails. Distinct from epicormic growth from adventitious (newly formed) buds.

Cassian Humphreys in 'australia used it later, referring to epicormic growth covered by layers of new tissue, so it became endo-

written 4 articles related but i won't bore the audience with those. hard- and softcore isa folk have them. cassian's observations pub. 2008 were in australian arbor age mag.

Nice pics of growth from ax wound. not for every tree or species.

re the op, suggest also light tip cuts along with the nicking strategies to force budbreak. pic is on q phellos 1 year after heading cut after storm damage. buds broke on their own; bending during storm may also have been a factor.

Fascinating subject!

I agree those bumps are bundles of meristematic tissue, often associated with ray cells.

Yes often dormant buds are visible with a hand lens or even the naked eye.

"Endocormic" I will take the blame for coinage, 2002. I've tried to get it into glossaries but just get funny e-looks when I suggest it. Refers to growth from dormant buds, which are connected to the "corm" via bud traces aka pith trails. Distinct from epicormic growth from adventitious (newly formed) buds.

Cassian Humphreys in 'australia used it later, referring to epicormic growth covered by layers of new tissue, so it became endo-

written 4 articles related but i won't bore the audience with those. hard- and softcore isa folk have them. cassian's observations pub. 2008 were in australian arbor age mag.

Nice pics of growth from ax wound. not for every tree or species.

re the op, suggest also light tip cuts along with the nicking strategies to force budbreak. pic is on q phellos 1 year after heading cut after storm damage. buds broke on their own; bending during storm may also have been a factor.

Reading and learning is far from boring, post them articles and lets all learn something from them.:001_smile:

caveat: note the date on this first. it may have nothing to teach this advanced audience; just sharing experiences. it was written mainly to justify "heading cuts", cutting to nodes, what was termed at the time a 'PREPOSTEROUS TRUCKLOAD OF TRIPE".

only a tangential/background interest to Rob's proposed line of research.

After the Storm from TCI Magazine April-2003 small.pdf

• 1 month later...

this is interesting, I have a client with a large crabapple and someone really topped it badly!!!! it has tons of shoots everywhere shooting straight up. I am going to read some of these articles and see if there is a way to rejuvenate this tree. I will try to get some pics wed. when I go so you guys can take a look at it. any advice is always welcome. keep it up super thread!!!