Restoration Pruning

RobArb

how secure would the new branching be?

its not as if its grown there from the original growth pattern of the tree, its "artificially" encouraged so would that mean there would be a weaker connection to the stem anyway and the whole procedure rendered pointless?

i do fancy experimenting with this though:thumbup:

ps, cheers david for those pics, helps a lot:biggrin: and interesting too

They will be inherently weaker as formed at this point in structural time & will be predisposed to tearing out more so than branches layed down as first order structure.

Go forth & experiment my good man :thumbup:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to old apple tree ptuningbooks a "v"-shaped notch behind a bud is supposed to promote a branch to sprout (instead of a flower) but I have never tried... a bit of fieldtrials?

Is this in the bark? Or a notch cut out of the stem? :blushing: Not heard of this before, always looking to learn and all that :001_smile:

Guest Infinitree

If your considering making axe cuts for new growth,How about grafting new shoots? Might only work on certain species/locations/ages-Is it a possibility?....For the record-I know nothing of grafting! :001_tongue:

i too was also thinking grafting but from an LA perspective i think this would be more time consuming and probably cost more money

but it is IME (eyes) a feasable possibility on trees that take to grafting well

I need to find some trees that have been scaffolded or poorly pruned and that i can be let loose on that i know are my trees only:blushing:

might be worth asking my local TO and see what he says

feel i've got a nice little research project coming on here:thumbup:

thats mad that is!

put "restoration pruning" into google and this thread is the fourth link down, its only been here since last night and its fourth already, just shows how little there is out there about this sort of pruning, unless its on fruit or nursery trees!

Cheers pal, I'll look into that a bit more, raid the library for some old books :thumbup1:

:blushing: Sorry.... I think its the other way round... it promotes fruitforming...got carried away..:blushing::001_rolleyes:

http://www.gardenguides.com/84349-prune-apple-plum-trees.html

"Cut the other shoots, picking only the best five to leave. These will determine your branch system's main growth. This method of pruning will cause the very top bud to grow the strongest, but you will want more buds to grow on the lower branches, so you can use a knife to barely cut below this main bud. This tiny cut will force the lower buds to produce more heavily. When pruning, you can make the branches angle out wider by selecting which buds you want the branches to come out and make small notches in the tree bark above these buds."

Edited by Xerxses

ok, so having a bit of a look through google and my athens account i've come across something i'm ashamed to have not heard of:blushing:

but is this because its been "made-up" or is it a proven thing? mmm more research me thinks..

Has anyone heard of endocormic growth instead of epicormic growth?

and is it in any tree books that people have as my library isn't very extensive at the moment!

Edited by RobArb