deposits for large jobs

pward

I would never take money up front, I think it is awful business practice. If i was involved in large scale long term work, i.e. weeks or months of it where i would need to pay wages and/ or equipment hire and large running costs, this would be tied into stage payments anyway, so the need oughtn't be there to take money up front. As huck says, what if you take the money and can't fulfill a deadline you had agreed to due to illness, accident or something else out of your control- your kit getting stolen etc etc. Especially on crappy little £500 domestic jobs!!

Edited by tommer9

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well then a full refund of the deposit thaken if it is a fault on my part, there are simple measures that can be taken to keep it in a professional realm and not look like a doggey crook, it nice to hear so many thoughts on this and so varyed, so another question what other procaustions can be taken to stop customers not paying or cancerling the job at the very last second ??

If you check into a hotel they often swipe your credit card. I reckon if you did a bunk they would take the money. Have you noticed if you go to a crap plastic pub they take the money up front for food How do I know if its good enough before I have eaten it.

we only take deposits if we have any outlay on the job in question

materials for landscaping jobs, hire of equipment etc.

other than that, we put our payment terms on the bottom of the quote ( immediate payment rquired)

and when the customer rings up to give the go ahead with the job, i try to slip a reminder in.

we always ring on the night before we go to a job, and if the client says they'll be out, or at work or whatever, i'll ask them if i can nip round later in the evening to pick the cheque up.

Havent ever taken a deposit and the only none payers in 16 years have been companies that have gone bust bar one.

Not to say I wouldnt ask for money upfront or interim payments on any big commercial jobs for unknown companies considering the crappy economic climate!

As for domestic, theres never a problem(bar the one) them paying so I dont even think about it tbh.

Besides, I always know were they live.:thumbup:

True, but you take the milk home with you when you pay :001_rolleyes:.

QUOTE]

the principle is the same, just the transaction is quicker. You pay, then you get to leave the shop.:001_smile:

The customer doesnt make the terms and conditions the supplier does:001_cool: