Hamadryads book club

Now that financialy speaking I am in a somewhat easier position I would like to put into action something that ive wanted to do for Arbtalk members for some time.

So here it is, i propose to purchase a number of copies of text books that I consider to be of much benefit/influence to the progressive arborist. It has become very clear that many of these books being a little expensive are not bought and read because of this, and arboriculture needs this information to be freely available to all.

Shortly I will be buying a copy of each of The Mattheck series, the plan is for the book list and copies to grow as and when finances allow. each person requiring the book for loan will be responsible for posting it to the next reader and so on, this means postage only one way for all readers:thumbup1:

You will keep the book for upto six weeks, each book will have its own thread and the first to request the book gets the first loan and then passes it after 6 weeks or less to the next person who asked.

is that clear so far?:001_huh: lol

So in due course I will start a thread entitled by the book name, the first to request gets the book, and although there is a risk these books "may dissapere" arbtalkers will know who and where you are, and worse still so will I!:2gunsfiring_v1:

Please dont abuse this, it is an opportunity to learn.:001_cool: and look after these books please, i know they will get thread bear, books that are read do, but lets do what we can.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, but i'm always slow on the uptake usually of first up, first gets:blushing:

so i baggsy the second one:lol:

so far, i'm loving matthecks book, lots to learn and digest, takes a few times before it sticks:thumbup:

Though I do feel this is a superb idea, I do feel you need some kind of fee to cover your expenses, or a charge as a deterrent to people "forgetting" to return/send on books, much as a library would. Unfortunately there are some very "forgetful" people in this world, and to lose expensive books would leave a sour taste.

But, its your call Tony, like I said, great idea :thumbup1:

so far, i'm loving matthecks book, lots to learn and digest, takes a few times before it sticks:thumbup:

This is an important point, and I dont think six weeks is really long enough to get a great deal into ones head and game, maybe it should be longer? I am sure many will, having had a chance to read these, want thier own copies anyway.

yes i suppose the incentive is there to try before you buy, from personal experience i like to read a book (or at least scan it) to the point of where i think it will benefit me actually buying it.

Having a six week loan is enough of a time for someone (IMO) to make the decision on whether its worth saving pennies for:thumbup:

Though I do feel this is a superb idea, I do feel you need some kind of fee to cover your expenses, or a charge as a deterrent to people "forgetting" to return/send on books, much as a library would. Unfortunately there are some very "forgetful" people in this world, and to lose expensive books would leave a sour taste.

But, its your call Tony, like I said, great idea :thumbup1:

I totaly get your point Andy, but this is about so much more than money, and @ the end of the day it is not just me that the forgetful ones will be doing a foul turn, and they will be publicly boo'ed and hissed here when the books fail to turn up to the next patient reader:001_smile:

This isnt about getting anything out, this is about putting in, ive wanted to do this for so long, and now I can begin in earnest, there is sooo much important information out there and it is such a shame more do not get the chance or have the inclination or money to get hold of these books.

I honestly feel this is a very good way to advance the science at a coal face level, the level it matters most.:thumbup: