Large Timber trailer nearly finished

gensetsteve

Looking sharp!

Does it work as well as you hoped?

So far yes but need to try it properly loaded in anger yet. Have loaded 1/2 tonne butts while the bed is empty. I would imagine you need to treat with respect until its half loaded now the front 20 ft is missing. Should be able to load 2 tonne stuff then. The air suspension is excellent and it rides a treat when empty. :thumbup1:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

240hp its running on 10 stud axles. The fans on front I think are for the intercooler. I think the standard 2400 sits a foot higher with intercooler under cab.

The 200+hp mogs only have the cab lifted by around 4". There are 4 block mounts that go between the cab and chassis.

The intercoolers are iether in front of the radiator (standard grill) or centrilised at the front (none standard grill)

Some cabs have greater head room.

• 3 weeks later...
This is what I thought. The price difference between red and white is getting narrower. Soon it will be cheaper to run on white. :biggrin:

Intrigued by this comment as there's about a 63p/litre price differential now, and back in 1998 when i finished a levels there was a 60p/litre differential??? I think its only seems like u think because red diesel was mere pennies a litre rather than now its many tens of pennies??? Would u agree or am i talking u know whats?:001_rolleyes:

Intrigued by this comment as there's about a 63p/litre price differential now, and back in 1998 when i finished a levels there was a 60p/litre differential??? I think its only seems like u think because red diesel was mere pennies a litre rather than now its many tens of pennies??? Would u agree or am i talking u know whats?:001_rolleyes:

If difference was 63p 13 years ago things have doubled in price but the difference is not £1.20 now. What I was thinking was if I doubled my fuel cost by running on white and staying legal for more jobs. I would go from a £1 a mile in fuel to £2 . Or in laymans terms If I bring 10 tonne of cord 10 miles it wil cost me £20 which does not really impact on £500 worth of timber.

If difference was 63p 13 years ago things have doubled in price but the difference is not £1.20 now. What I was thinking was if I doubled my fuel cost by running on white and staying legal for more jobs. I would go from a £1 a mile in fuel to £2 . Or in laymans terms If I bring 10 tonne of cord 10 miles it wil cost me £20 which does not really impact on £500 worth of timber.

yep i can see ur point, its a good one, i guess as a farmer/contractor i don't get too hung up on the colour of diesel because out of the several times we've been stopped they've never checked the colour of the diesel. Funnily they do in the landrover though:sneaky2: so have never looked at how the price difference would impact on the job.

All i know is its expensive on red so hate thought of white! :thumbdown:

Its not the drawbar it self or for that mater how it is fixed to the base of the I-beams, that is all good enough and shows good design. But look at the height of the I-beam and the sideways force a tractor would impart when turning a trailer, I-beam is prone to twist that way it is used for semi-trailers etc, it is strong in one direction but not so in others, just thing how tall and thin the metal is that forms the vertical part of the “I” is. All for the want of <15kg of a single steel plate or 2 triangles it could be significantly stronger. [ATTACH]64833[/ATTACH]

Just found this thread, a very interesting read, well done on a good job, however......your bang on right what you say about the strength of the I beams and directional forces, i have built a heck of a lot of grain trailers for farmers, and you really do need to look at this problem, some of my first attempts were very much the same and all ended up twisted, now i either cross section another I beam, or weld gusset plates in, gusset plates are not ideal as they still allow movement, but a full size face plate does the job perfectly.

Rob.

• 1 year later...