Burning diseased Elm

windfall

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not found a timber that does not burn!

We always built our fires so that all the brash went on the fire with the butt end into wind so the flames could "run" through the heap and then the rings went in a wall around and then onto the brash. This usually left a ring of unburnt matter which then got "turned in" - leaving nothing but a scorch mark.

All done in pre-chipper days of course:sneaky2:

I'm surprised that the IOM has such strict rules on elm disease tho!

Ahhh I see, they had rules like that back in the 70’s and 80’s in the North West. Jolly successful it was to, no wait where are all the Elms, whadaymean they all died? Ho hum

Rather than putting the pipe into the bottom of the fire which tends to send sparks out on an errand of mischief, try cutting slits into it and blanking the other end it makes an “air curtain” like Jim said

Google air curtain burner for more ideas.

We burnt serious amounts of elm in the late 70s early 80s. Serious fires and serious heat will burn anything. Stack all your brash and cord in one direction and build up the big lumps around it. You won't need any diesel or extra air.

Gnarlyoak I am sorry that your walmarts or like retail locations don't carry Napalm. My location here in the USA delivers 50 Gal. drums to my wearhous every week. I have a good supply although I thought it would be worth a try for burning Elm. FYI In my part of the country we have no less than 3 gun shops on every corner since we like to be prepared. I would secure my Napalm from them but I have a standing order with walmart. Your also welcome to come over for a visit any time and I can teach you about my country's " gun Culture" at the range, yes I have plenty of guns and ammo. See you at the range! :-)

Bye the way I am joking,believe it or not!

Disclaimer: For educational and fun reading perposes only. I would not recommend doing this. Why not just make a big fire with all your little bits n bobs from splitting and sawing? Or maybe leave them to rot in a pile, away from your swag of firewood?

Napalm is simple. There is the free flowing napalm, which is basically pumping fuel though a non return valve and there is sticky napalm, which stick. you can make the sticky type with fuel and toilet paper, and some sort of oil based soap shavings. Mush them all together reallllly dense in a container full of you desired fuel, by gradually filling up said full container with little strips of toilet paper and flakes. Shake and stir them well, and with a lid on the mixture, leave them to soak over night. In the morning drain off the fuel on the top, and in the bottom of the container should be a really thick gooey mixture. That is what you're after.

all this talk about napalm and petrol and tyres and what ever flamable liquid you have is madness , its not that difficult to get a fire going ,:confused1:

ive felled and burnt tons of elm that has dd

matches + dead wood + paper = fire :thumbup1: (leaf blower helps though once going) keep it simple :thumbup1: once youve got a good base you could burn anything