Government scrapping wildlife protections?

Harrison2604

:confused1:??? :sneaky2:

"On Monday, it was revealed that the government might scrap vital laws which protect wildlife and the countryside and help stop climate change. Hardliners have branded the rules ‘red tape’ and say they could be scrapped within months.

We need to work together to make sure our wildlife, our countryside and our planet are protected.

In the past, David Cameron has made headlines promising to run "the greenest government ever". We need to convince him that scrapping these laws would be a disaster for his reputation. A huge petition will prove to Cameron that he can't afford to break his green promises.

Please take 30 seconds to speak up for legal protection for wildlife and the environment:

38 Degrees | Don't Scrap Environment Laws

Among the laws under threat are the Climate Change Act and the Wildlife and Countryside Act. These aren’t little-known laws that no one cares about. The Wildlife and Countryside Act protects wild birds, their nests and eggs, and makes sure that national parks and marine reserves are protected. The UK’s Climate Change Act was a world first which helps make sure we reduce our emissions.

We know that when we work together we can make sure the government doesn’t get away with plans which could hurt the environment. When they decided to try to sell off our forests, over half a million of us got together and convinced them to drop their plans.

The government says it is "consulting" before scrapping these laws - so let's give them a consultation response they can't ignore! Please help make sure we have a huge petition telling the government to keep laws which protect our wildlife and our environment.

Sign the petition to send a powerful message to David Cameron and the government:

38 Degrees | Don't Scrap Environment Laws

PS: The laws under threat in the government's "red tape challenge" include the Climate Change Act, National Parks Act, Clean Air Act and the Wildlife and Countryside Act. Do these sound like "red tape" to you? Please add your name and tell the government that protecting our countryside and our planet should be a priority

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way your government is at present i seriously doubt a petition is going to do bugger all to halt what they have in store for you.

Sorry to be negative I want to stop them as much as the next man but i dont think a petition is a powerful message.

I agree with you mate, I just got it in an email and was shocked to see that our Government may actually go ahead with this

The way your government is at present i seriously doubt a petition is going to do bugger all to halt what they have in store for you.

Sorry to be negative I want to stop them as much as the next man but i dont think a petition is a powerful message.

It worked for the forest sell off. I put my name down.

I'll be adding my name to this aswell. The wildlife and countryside act covers the critters which need to be protected. Including fungi!

Although your intentions may be all well and good the actual reasons for "Scraping vital laws" is pure economics. Your government is running out of funds just like the Feds are here in the States. I am sure that if you had a petition for say raising the VAT another 50% to cover the cost of maintaining the vital laws you deem important and needed that petition would go over like a lead feather. I think that the need to continue to involve the Government in every aspect of ones life will continue to erode your rights every time. We as citizens can, if we choose be good stewards of our economy and environment with out government intervention. The more dependent you become of the government the more you will become subjected to the government. If you still feel strongly about signing petitions and "scraping vital laws" perhaps you may wish to donate any remaining funds you will ever earn to support your causes, I am sure the Government would be happy to accept your support.

Well lets put the emotive scare mongering language to one side and ask what has actually been proposed?

Red Tape Challenge

So no-one is scrapping anything unless it needs scrapping - there is no need for panic or hyperbole. As I haven't read all 159 regulations I don't consider that I am in a sufficiently knowledgable position to plainly state that they should all be kept - I wonder if those signing up to the petition are?

Quite aside for the fact that quite a lot of our environmental laws derive from EU directives (and therefore must be implemented in one way or another), the actual point of the review is to simplify and streamline the legislation and to remove parts that don't work.

The questions posed by the above consultation are [my emphasis in bold]:

"Biodiversity, wildlife management, landscape, countryside and recreation

These regulations are designed to conserve vulnerable or rare species and habitats and protect important wildlife sites. They also include regulations on rights of way and protecting national parks.

You can find all 159 regulations that relate to biodiversity, wildlife management, landscape, countryside and recreation here [opens in new window].

"Tell us what you think should happen to these regulations and why, being specific where possible:

•Should they be scrapped altogether?

Can they be merged with existing regulations?

Can we simplify them – or reduce the bureaucracy associated with them?

Have you got any ideas to make these regulations better?

Do you think they should be left as they are?"

So as you can see, the scrapping of some regulations is just one option amongst many (less newsworthy of course). Also the Govt. want specific reasons for any comments or suggestions - this is a constructive process.

IMO just saying that we should keep all environment legislation because the environment is threatened and we should keep the world nice for our children misses the point entirely. It is symptomatic of a fundamental error; that of shallow gut reaction over a proper detailed consideration of the situation. Of course if you don't actually understand what's being asked it might well be easier to scream NOOOOOOOOOOO at the top of your voice without any justification :D

(Attn; TCD - the well used full smiley at the end of my post indicates a degree of playful mocking, specifically to be associated with the comedic depiction of ignorance in the last paragraph. This is clearly not to say that I consider those persons involved to be generally ignorant, because as we all know, omniscience is logically paradoxical and everyone must necessarily be ignorant of something (including myself). If there are any other parts of any of my comments that are not immediately clear in their purpose and meaning then I can provide a full and detailed analysis of their entire subtext but would be forced by our cryptofascist overlords to demand a nominal fee.)

Edited by Amelanchier
sp.

Most of our environmental laws come from EU law, which we can not scrape even if we (the governement) wanted to, with out massive fines.

Are we sure about the facts, or is this more scaremongering generated by the tabloids (i.e. straight bannanas, ice cream, and our nobil sausage) ?

Although your intentions may be all well and good the actual reasons for "Scraping vital laws" is pure economics. Your government is running out of funds just like the Feds are here in the States. I am sure that if you had a petition for say raising the VAT another 50% to cover the cost of maintaining the vital laws you deem important and needed that petition would go over like a lead feather. I think that the need to continue to involve the Government in every aspect of ones life will continue to erode your rights every time. We as citizens can, if we choose be good stewards of our economy and environment with out government intervention. The more dependent you become of the government the more you will become subjected to the government. If you still feel strongly about signing petitions and "scraping vital laws" perhaps you may wish to donate any remaining funds you will ever earn to support your causes, I am sure the Government would be happy to accept your support.

Well lets put the emotive scare mongering language to one side and ask what has actually been proposed?

Red Tape Challenge

So no-one is scrapping anything unless it needs scrapping - there is no need for panic or hyperbole. As I haven't read all 159 regulations I don't consider that I am in a sufficiently knowledgable position to plainly state that they should all be kept - I wonder if those signing up to the petition are?

Quite aside for the fact that quite a lot of our environmental laws derive from EU directives (and therefore must be implemented in one way or another), the actual point of the review is to simplify and streamline the legislation and to remove parts that don't work.

The questions posed by the above consultation are [my emphasis in bold]:

"Biodiversity, wildlife management, landscape, countryside and recreation

These regulations are designed to conserve vulnerable or rare species and habitats and protect important wildlife sites. They also include regulations on rights of way and protecting national parks.

You can find all 159 regulations that relate to biodiversity, wildlife management, landscape, countryside and recreation here [opens in new window].

"Tell us what you think should happen to these regulations and why, being specific where possible:

•Should they be scrapped altogether?

Can they be merged with existing regulations?

Can we simplify them – or reduce the bureaucracy associated with them?

Have you got any ideas to make these regulations better?

Do you think they should be left as they are?"

So as you can see, the scrapping of some regulations is just one option amongst many (less newsworthy of course). Also the Govt. want specific reasons for any comments or suggestions - this is a constructive process.

IMO just saying that we should keep all environment legislation because the environment is threatened and we should keep the world nice for our children misses the point entirely. It is symptomatic of a fundamental error; that of shallow gut reaction over a proper detailed consideration of the situation. Of course if you don't actually understand what's being asked it might well be easier to scream NOOOOOOOOOOO at the top of your voice without any justification :D

(Attn; TCD - the well used full smiley at the end of my post indicates a degree of playful mocking, specifically to be associated with the comedic depiction of ignorance in the last paragraph. This is clearly not to say that I consider those persons involved to be generally ignorant, because as we all know, omniscience is logically paradoxical and everyone must necessarily be ignorant of something (including myself). If there are any other parts of any of my comments that are not immediately clear in their purpose and meaning then I can provide a full and detailed analysis of their entire subtext but would be forced by our cryptofascist overlords to demand a nominal fee.)

I could not have put it any better.:thumbup1: