Favorite Chipper

tractor10_0

My infeed on my timber wolf is 6 by 11 inch measured it out of curiousity. Do you think you could put nitrous in a chipper lol

No, the infeed aperture between the rollers is 6x6".

Using your measurement, I could claim my chipper has an infeed of 12 x 14"...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, you even cater for strange fetish's at greenmech huh?

Yes, I have had some strange demo's and heard of weird usage before now. One was on the TV as part of a TV advert, a breakfast TV programme had one to shred rotten fish and blowing at someone once, tobacco leaves, chicken portions, shellfish waste, Bomb Disposal have two, newspapers, cardboard tubes, plastic tubes. Hey, a buyer is a buyer!!!

Come across a few chippers in my time,

Gandini was awful, broke and bloked constantly

Greenmech were average, nothing more

Vermeer 1000, feedroller spring wasn't strong enough and struggled to break limbs down

Vermeer 1400 had vertical feedrollers which would contantly get jammed by bits being pulled around the side

Jenson 9" i hired had dull feed rollers and as a result i struggled like hell to get the machine to take anything!

Tw's had a habit of dropping to pieces, although they did get worked the hardest.

Sheisling(?) Used one for only a short time but was quite impressed.

how do you sharpen the rollers on a jensen? and how tight can you make the springs that force the roller down?

i always thought jensens would be better at pulling in the branches in if they had serated teeth on the rollers like some of the schleisings have or do they? I dunno.

jensens need to pull the stuff in better, thats a fact.

why dont jensen make a big wide 12 inch roller like that guy ed is talking about for their 6 inch range?

You sharpen the feed rollers with a abrasive pad on a grinder, the springs need to be tight enough so u can lift the top one with a bar. I would also check your pressure. Jensens have a very strong infeed so its sounds like you have a problem

Always renew springs i would guess every 2 years to keep full tension. Change hydro oil and filter could have blockages.

I dont agree TW fall apart seams alot of you guys dont like them but i have been so impressed with my little 6 incher it keeps going ande going and i do stick 6 inch lengths into it not a problem has very quick no stress

Hello (and thanks PB for telling all the local bad boys my house was empty). My thoughts on this subject.

What suits one may not suit another.

A chipper is only as good as the person that maintains it.

Always do your homework.

Work out costing for the period you want to own the machine not just the purchase price.

Clearly think about the use of the machine. Lightweight will mean more maintenance especially in the incorrect environment.

Demonstrate the machine thoroughly. Try to get machines side by side. That way you get to chose and salesmen less likely to influence.

Demonstrate using material you hate the most. Conifer / Hawthorn etc. Any 6" machine can chip a 6" broomstick whats impressive about that. Lets see a 6" chipper cope with a bit of 5" hawthorn with all it's branches attached. Very few will manage that. The ones that do will soon repay their extra cost in labour time over a few years.

Most important make your own mind up. The chipper will probably be one of the most expensive bits of kit you will purchase. Buy wisely and buy once.

To sum up. There is no perfect chipper. Some are just better than others and that is the choice you must make.

I herd some schlise loving sorry no no no over priced not because they have more gear because you have to pay for the import charges etc.

Not quite sure what you are saying there. Must have your own language. Last time I checked Germany was in the EU. No import duties / charges as far as I know.

They have slow no stress absurdly to heavy there lightest unit is the 5 inch at what 750kgs. Which is good for sod all with its weak engine you need more power to spin heavy flywheels TW use the right combo of power to weight.

Actually you need less power with a bigger flywheel. The momentum in a flywheel weighing in excess of 100kgs to that of one weighing under 40kgs is equivalent to an awful lot of horsepower.

I used three brand new ones and had so many problems the first broke for unknown reasons first day on trial second one ok was man error but over 1 week for repair parts and extorted prices later fixed.

Things like this may happen. Brand new vehicles are more likely to fail in the first 5 hours. Your case is unknown to us. How long ago was this. All consumable parts on the shelf available for next day delivery. Odscure parts next day UPS from Germany.

You need a 7.5 tonnne van to tow all there machines or you got no weight for chip stupid germans.

Stupid Germans! Since when has how much a trailer / chipper weighed affected what the vehicle can carry.

UK market needs a UK chipper TW is for the small to medium company which is 89% of the uk arb.

We need a compact chipper light with 7.5inch capacity with a 750kg tag one day we may.

Yes correct, but the materials the machine would have to be made out of would put it in the price range of a supercar.

I apologise for the rant but some of the above was just utter crap.

Someone told me I should invest in a German chipper because they are better than all the others – including Timberwolf.

OK – this is the opposite question to the one above. What is basically being said is, spend as much as you can on your chipper and you should get a good one. Don’t be fooled by the ‘made in Germany’ sticker. Not everything that comes out of Germany is built by BMW! We Brits like to assume German is best and believe the premium we are paying for a German chipper is the price for better quality. Wrong, wrong, wrong – Germany is one of the most expensive manufacturing countries in Europe and combined with this the UK customer must pay for exchange rate fluctuations that increase the imported cost of the machine (importers have to spend more £s to get the same value in Euros – who do you think pays for that?) The customer must also pay for the additional profit margins of the extra middlemen that handle the machine on its way to him (everyone wants their cut!). The regular myth of ‘German quality’ is presented to justify the extra outlay necessary to cover such high costs and can leave you paying the extra but not necessarily getting the extra quality you were expecting. Don’t believe us – have a look at how much less these machines sell for in mainland Europe!

A current trend is for importers to try to hold the rising cost to the UK customer in an attempt to stay in the market by quietly doing away with support networks, leaving their customers at risk of owning a machine with no local support or backup. Be very wary of buying ‘direct’ from an importer from miles away – where do you get your backup?

The reason (And this is just my opinion!) that Timberwolf have been so succesfull in the UK was their attention to detail in setting up a dealer network.

The product when it came out was the best on the market, and at an affordable price.

I think Mike gave a very balanced view on purchasing a chipper, and his reply on the points raised about schliesing were valid.

I personally would far prefer a schliesing over a TW, but I think the differences between all the chippers on the market is very slim...