Ash, Included Bark

Deni

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point of view on the tree. I would give an opinion based on how I would feel if it were my tree in my garden near my property. I would probably recommend a reduction along the lines of what Hama said in this case, based on what info is available in the pictures.

Its not always black & white, there are so many factors to take into consideration when advising a client, and I think most options and opinions have been mentioned here, and I think the majority of answers are valid.

As you can see their is alot of weight on the leaning side of the tree, just a bit worried that in full leaf this may choose to go in winds?

Been watching the thread for a while and I'd like to add a few notes if I may. The tree(s) in question appear to be growing in their current form due to light suppression from the neighbouring tree and compaction from the roadway. The root ball appears to be elevated on a piece of ground that slopes away in the direction of the 'lean'. I concur with the opinion that the tree appears in good health and that the problem could reside in the owners head.It looks like it is leaning over and one tree is pushing the other over. But I can not see inside the tree and the VTA is limited by the photographs you have afforded us. Yes there is an anxiousness about its position and overall shape due to the proximity of the building and vehicles. The tree is probably 100 years old. It has taken this form over time laying down wood in a particular fashion to alleviate the possibilty of falling over or being blown over. It will have added wood to provide strength against the wind. When the driveway was laid did the roots get severed and when the building was constructed did the tree sustain damage? All points to consider. I personally think it looks a good strong tree that will no doubt have fused roots with its neighbour for added strength and nutrient exchange, buried its roots according to topography and water and nutrient availability and have a strong trunk to withstand the weight of its branches and leaves.

I rambled on for longer than I wanted so now you have a slight connundrum to sort out but you have plenty of advice to give when discussing the future of your trees. In the meantime plant some more trees anyway and increase the photosythetic opportunity to as many as possible! :thumbup1:

so deni, looking at the various posts (sidetracks aside) how are you feeling about this now? out of curiosity:crazy:

I got more concerned about this tree when i had a look at a similar one at a hotel for a friend, two tree surgeons had looked at it before me and they both said it had to come down so this got me thinking about the ash at my Dads.

The original owner of the Farm steading planted these trees himself and for that reason we would like to keep the it so im going to go with a reduction and maybe think about bracing it. Could be doing with the reduction practice anyway:thumbup1:

Will get some pics up when i get a chance to do it. And thanks everyone for the advice:thumbup1:

I'd leave it alone but inspect it regularly.

I'd also move my cars if it's a windy night.

What about the part of the house thats in the firing line? should he throw that on a set of roller skates and move that when its windy as well? :001_tt2:

All valid points here and also if you want to be sure the tree is sound inside then you should maybe think of getting a scan done on it. I would still go for the reduction and brace for peace of mind and a set of heavy duty roller skates :lol:

Bracing this tree is pretty pointless IMO, the reduction would achieve the same result, less stress on the union (pointless debate)

if braced the tree will eventualy rely on the brace as a proportion of he axiom and develop odd mechanics.

That i can understand but if the guy wants peace of mind then why not brace it? it doesnt have to be tight, just enough so that if it did start to go then the brace would catch it. I also think the reduction would be all that was needed, i just added the brace as an easier way of getting to sleep on a windy night :001_tt2: