Advice on collages to do the foundation degree or even a degree!

showoffsummer

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently £3220 per year but are going up to £9k in 2012!

Sounds of sharp intake of breath... That's ridiculous!!! Arb' is a notoriously low paid industry, even at consultancy level and coming out of Uni' with that level of dept is crazy.

There are far too few people taking higher education in forestry and arb' as it is. This is going to make it almost impossible for anyone who wants to get their degree and further themselves :thumbdown:

Im studying the arb degree course at pershore college, Word of advice the facilities hear are not what i expected, the books we requested in september are still not hear. Look elsewhere the fees will be around the £3250 mark. Look into student loans and grants to assist you. But i would recommend the course. Wouldnt worry so much about spaces on course i started late october . Good luck

Most of my personal library of books has been funded by student loans. It is what it's for.

Janey: it is very shocking. I'm glad the higher fees won't affect me as I just can't justify being there at that cost. there is around 25 people on the foundation degree and bsc level on my course. With similar numbers in earlier and later years

Maintenance grants are available up to 2800 and maintenance loans up to similar amounts. Student finance did me out of the grant money which I could have done with because they means tested me on when my dads firm was doing well 2 years ago, it folded a year ago so the income came down a significant amount. And now they won't budge on it, parents divorced so I became dependent on my dad, we sent off the absolute in October and they still haven't sent them back after asking them 2 months ago!

Rant over sorry!

Currently £3220 per year but are going up to £9k in 2012!

£9k is what Oxbridge charge and you'd walk out with a much better education that you would from Myerscough. I'm shocked that they would even think at charging that much. As Janey says it's arb/forestry is very poorly paid and that level of fees will put off a hell of a lot of people.

Hi, I,ve just been quoted 1.900 per year for a 3 year online foundation degree. Does that sound ok?

When I was offered a place for September 2009 I think it was £1,200 per year. So your figure sounds about right.

£9k is what Oxbridge charge and you'd walk out with a much better education that you would from Myerscough.

Don't count on it. Oxbridge has very bright academics, but most of them hate teaching, do as little as they are obliged to to retain the cash, do it as badly as they can get away with and treat undergrads like something they stepped in.

Very big difference between knowing a lot and being good at teaching it. However, it's certainly true that going to Oxbridge carries a reputation before it, which works to your advantage afterwards, however bad the teaching was!

Alec

i started last year ( the FdSc online arb degree ) at myerscough, just about to finish my first year. I paid £1400 and its due to go up ever so slightly but not much (apparently:thumbdown:) over the next two years

the question still remains on how much it wil be if i want to carry on and get my BSc (Hons), which i do, but its whether i'll be able to afford it

On the actual course though, doing it online i find both easy and difficult at the same time, easy because you have no constraints as to when you do the work as long as it gets handed in by the deadlines but hard because you have to be self disciplined to get the work done with no tutors or fellow students helping/pushing you to get it done.

It can be very rewarding if you do push yourself though:thumbup: