Self employed rates?

sihart100

The best groundsmen are also climbers IMO. And both should be working together as a team. I can't stand climbers who pile up branches and slow the whole job. In the same way that I can't stand groundsmen who stand scratching their heads, open mouthed when you signal for something that should be obvious, over the noise of the chipper. A climber will know what you need before you ask for it.

It's also good if a groundsman can eye a piece you are about to drop to confirm what you think. ie. that you are safe to miss that fence/shed etc. Info I would trust more from a climber. Helps you go bigger and makes less work for you. A groundsman that's only worth 50 quid a day, I wouldn't even want on site.

I whole-heartedly agree with the people who think we vastly under-pay ourselves in general as an industry.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best groundsmen are also climbers IMO. And both should be working together as a team. I can't stand climbers who pile up branches and slow the whole job. In the same way that I can't stand groundsmen who stand scratching their heads, open mouthed when you signal for something that should be obvious, over the noise of the chipper. A climber will know what you need before you ask for it.

It's also good if a groundsman can eye a piece you are about to drop to confirm what you think. ie. that you are safe to miss that fence/shed etc. Info I would trust more from a climber. Helps you go bigger and makes less work for you. A groundsman that's only worth 50 quid a day, I wouldn't even want on site.

I whole-heartedly agree with the people who think we vastly under-pay ourselves in general as an industry.

Amen to that :thumbup:

im a groundie and charge £85 a day but for that i drag and chip all brash keep the customer happy sharpen saws make sure everything is to hand i also stumpgrind and fell trees i have tickets cs 30 31 38 39 mewp polepruner stumgrinder and a few others i do the odd bit of climbing when who ever im working for gives me a charnce witch i love but to be honest i think there are far to many climbers that think they are better than they i think on some jobs the groundie should be paid as much a climber

Climbers have more skill but groundless work harder

That depends on the job. If you have a clear drop zone and can belt away, plus a long drag to the chipper then yes, the groundy will be working harder. If it's a tricky drop zone on an ivy covered brute of a tree with the chipper right beside the brash then the climber will sweat the most.

That depends on the job. If you have a clear drop zone and can belt away, plus a long drag to the chipper then yes, the groundy will be working harder. If it's a tricky drop zone on an ivy covered brute of a tree with the chipper right beside the brash then the climber will sweat the most.

well I would stay at home and send a couple of the lads off for that job.

To be honest when someone gets me in to climb its cause they cant do it there selves

And there-in lies the main problem of the UK arb industry, subby climbers doing work for employers who can't do it themselves.

Remember these employers are making a name for themselves on the back of your expertise and skills.

for employers - If you can't climb trees and do the work yourself then don't take the job on.