Self employed rates?

sihart100

I see your point here Dave now.

This is where we differ in opinions of who is "in charge" on site.

As you know, I sometimes I use a contract climber, and sometimes climb myself.

The difference is, although I may be the "boss", if Im climbing the groundy is still in charge. Although all cutting decisions should be made by the climber, the main groundy is in charge. He is the first point of cantact for anyone, not the climber regardless of who is the boss.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference is, although I may be the "boss", if Im climbing the groundy is still in charge. Although all cutting decisions should be made by the climber, the main groundy is in charge. He is the first point of cantact for anyone, not the climber regardless of who is the boss.

I am the boss, I am the climber, I make the most money, dragging brash is dragging brash, lifting logs isn't dificult, I can swing about trees doing a job plenty can't , quicker than most, so I make the money.

I have blue tooth headsets, I run the show from up the tree and tell my groundie what to say if asked questions. He is not a robot he is trained by me to work the way I want him too. And he is paid to follow instruction

Huck and I do not need rescue climbers as we are the boss of the company , my Groundie has his but I do not even consider a rescue from him, we get work for who we are, we are proof that our way works.

If you want to try and convince me that we are of equal rank on a work site, then be the 1 with the saw that gets it on the deck:)

i used to get paid £30 a day as a second climber and groundy when i was full time. dint have many easy days . so i quit that and did subby work starting at £60 a day and iv just moved up to £70 a day as im abit better then when i first started. im not the best climber and im not the fastest but every one that i work for is happy and im happy :thumbup:

I think the groundy is by far the person who makes the time up and site run smoothly. I do feel a lot of people who become climbers don't think of the mess they make below for the groundie to clear up. If i can when i climb i try to drop as much as i can so the branches are easy for the groudy to pick up and throw through the chipper. One of my pet hates is when there's a mass of branches in a birds nest with 5 or 6 long lumps of timber because the climber couldn't be bothered to wait a couple of minutes for the groundy to clear/move the last log.

In Norfolk the price is still driven down as the college keeps churning out newly qualified people, theres not enough work for everyone, the jobs arn't about, so they setup and gardeners are quoting £8 an hour to do tree work.

Anyway sorry for the poor use of grammer.

For me the best way to work is to have 2 climbers always. One grounds one day and climbs the next while the other does opposite shifts. This way both climbers get a rest out of the harness or a rest from hauling brash and logs every other day. Also you know if you get in trouble then you have someone that can get you down before you bleed to death. I have been climbing for a long time now but i am still just as happy to do ground work and the people that hire me are always very happy to have someone on the ground making their climbing that much easier.

A good groundie is a climber as well because he can see when you need help before you have to start screaming at them to look up every now and again. And he keeps it running smooth because he knows whats coming next.