Insuring Firewood

I am insured with NFU and they will not insure my stock outside, so i too will be interested in any information!

I think security would be the main problem, they would need you to have your wood secure inside a yard or building.

Fair points; The intention is to have most of the wood I don't sell roadside in the shed asap after felling; in my case a wooden shed on private property which could be demolished in about 10 minutes with a chainsaw or match is the reality. I thought an insurance company somewhere would only be too happy to take money off me but I accept the premium might be prohibitive. Just the thought of loosing a winters sale volume is :thumbdown:

The problem is the small print, they are quite happy to take your money but even the NFU now hand claims on to loss assesors whose job it is to wriggle out of paying.

I sold a cooker recently, £4100 as a result of flood damage. Farmer had insured his old cooker with the NFU since 1960 but as the cost today was over 3k and he had not listed it a a high value (over3k) item he was not covered at all for it. He cancelled my order.

farmers insure the whole job against all risks, its not cheap. I own about 15 acres and have to insure my trees incase they fall and injure or damage something or somebody. All are road side so I do need it in case an Ash falls on a car etc.

A

NFU wont insure roadside timber unless its got a 6ft high steel fence around it.Daft i know but i asked the question cos i normaly have 700ton sat drying out for firewood.There reason is daft as i said that the timber gets delivered by wagon & crane over the hedge so whats to say they wouldnt steal it in the same way.It's not unheard of around Northumberland & especialy Durham

NFU are comedians. We tried to insure our stock (not wood) with them and they took us through the whole thing and then told us that they wouldn't insure it as it was a 'target for thieves'.

Uhhhh. That's kind of why we wanted to insure it.