Top Handle Saw on the Ground

scottythepinetree

How many use a top handled saw on the ground?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. How many use a top handled saw on the ground?

• Use occassionally
    • Use regularly
    • Never use

Having just read another thread, and not wanting to derail. How many of you use a top handle saw on the ground?

I have on occassion, grabbed one if it's just a few quick cuts to get a job done or moved along bad as that may be. I have worked for a company in the past where the practice was commonplace. 200t in permanent residence beside the chipper:sneaky2:.

I prefer a rear handled saw while on the ground, but have always thought that a topper is no more dangerous on the ground than it is in the tree so why is it illegal to use one? Surely the temptation to use it one handed isn't enough of a reason.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think its ilegal to use one on the ground. Its just the NPTC that say you shouldnt. They are handy little saws for all jobs especially bashing thorns and other fiddly stuff.

think you will find it,s the HSE and manufacturers not NPTC at all

I dont think its ilegal to use one on the ground. Its just the NPTC that say you shouldnt. They are handy little saws for all jobs especially bashing thorns and other fiddly stuff.

That’s the wrong acronym, the one you want is HSE through AGAG

That’s the Health and Safety Executive through the Arboriculture and Forestry Advisory Group

As you say not against the law per say but the HSE will bring prosecution under their powers.

Edited by treequip
Bob types faster

There are times in the tree when you need to one hand.

This is not the case on the ground.

So would you say that rear handled saws should be used in a tree until you find yourself in a situation where one handed use is necessary? A top handled saw could then be sent up for that cut.

The reason I'm asking is that I've met quite a few tree workers who would look at it the way a priest would if you burned a bible in church. I'd still maintain that using a top handle on the ground 2 handed is no more dangerous than it is in the tree.

do you use them on the ground though?

Not so much since My shoulder started playing up but I do now and again :001_rolleyes:

I know that the methods I've used over the years are now taking their toll and I should have been doing things that reduced the wear on Me, even if it took a little longer :blushing:.

For years I just ran with 020t's and a 66 :blushing: