Your opinions needed, Yes you kind sir.

Ian Flatters

yeah toe spikes what he welded up and bolted onto a pair of Nike's, that was back in the day though when i was bout 14, i remember spending saturdays with my 2 older bros making spikes in the workshop and then timing them on a stopwatch in the local wood, i think at that time Jeremy Barrel was the fastest out, wat is a quick time now on an 80 ft pole?

p.s. Do you by any chance know Andy Nicol and Will Heal?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah toe spikes what he welded up and bolted onto a pair of Nike's, that was back in the day though when i was bout 14, i remember spending saturdays with my 2 older bros making spikes in the workshop and then timing them on a stopwatch in the local wood, i think at that time Jeremy Barrel was the fastest out, wat is a quick time now on an 80 ft pole?

p.s. Do you by any chance know Andy Nicol and Will Heal?

Yeah Both of them, Wills missus has just had his 1st born. Top climbers in Expert are hitting 11 seconds or less and the world record is only 9.09 so i think soon it will be broken again.

Im aiming to get down to 12 seconds this year as i've built some better racing spikes over winter.

What about finding a row of big trees (that need to come down for some reason)and timing a team of three to smash them up and process them but get paid? The best climbers I've seen wouldn't entertain a competition and are too busy working to enter one;)

brilliant idea, well up for it:thumbup:

would it be cheating to have two guy in mewps and 1 on the floor feeding a chipper with a 360?????

What about finding a row of big trees (that need to come down for some reason)and timing a team of three to smash them up and process them but get paid? The best climbers I've seen wouldn't entertain a competition and are too busy working to enter one;)

I might use this to take over the world.... I'll call it the Private job tree work championship, whoever earns me the most money wins:lol:

I will try and make the three counties for a day but wales woodfest is a long way to go for a day, looking hopeful for royal welsh too. Its definitely about beating your personal best although my competitiveness does have a look over to see how the other guy or gal is doing. Like they have said i dont think you need practice as such maybe some form of fitness training may help as my arms certainly felt it although it was cold. Also a good bunch even when they were sniggering when i opted to use a steel strop flipline (turns out they use those homemade ones for a reason). Still a good giggle just looking to beat my time too

• 4 weeks later...

im not in the 'industry', im in dairy farming, got into tree climbing as recreation between myself and a arborist friend who was very willing and supportive in passing on the knowlege and training i needed to climb for fun ! if you can call it fun!, ive always wanted to try pole climbing but not having experince working on spikes etc and turning up to an event with pros who are running up poles like squirrels and ' having a go ' is daunting to say the least !!!!!!

plus i would imagine that even if you are in the industry its the feeling of wonder as to how you will be recieved by the regulars......

hope my ten pennth worth is of use !!

best thing is to have a go fella, there was a girl at the apf who i believe works for forestry journal and she had a go having never tried it and she got to the top. Fair play to her trying at one of the biggest shows of the year. Its all good fun and people will help you out, you may surprise yourself