Seasoning in Vented bags

Logarithm

After spending far too much time handling wood getting it from source to customer I have decided this year that I will split n cut straight into vent bags and leave on pallets in the field to season,it's seems a no brainer that this is the way forward but can't understand why so many of you prefere to billet/stack creating loss of money through additional labour.

Can anyone who use's this method (vented bulk bags) give me their views on the success or any pitfalls that I might face later in the year.

Cheers Logarithm.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After spending far too much time handling wood getting it from source to customer I have decided this year that I will split n cut straight into vent bags and leave on pallets in the field to season,it's seems a no brainer that this is the way forward but can't understand why so many of you prefere to billet/stack creating loss of money through additional labour.

Can anyone who use's this method (vented bulk bags) give me their views on the success or any pitfalls that I might face later in the year.

Cheers Logarithm.

I use the vented bags to stack and season wood (with each bag on a pallet) for the reasons you state above.

most of my bags are on the 4th or 5th go round so they are durable. most damage occurs when you accidently stick the pallet forks into a loaded bag!

make sure you buy the ones with tipping loops on the bottom. that way you can tip them off the forks into your truck then fork thru the bottom loop(s) to fully tip ou.t job's a goodun!

see my pm for supplier details.

BTW some people use the builders bulk bags and cut their own slits in for ventilation. however these lack the vital tipping loops.

hope this helps

Cheers Logarithm.

the bags i use are UV stabilized and like "firewood" says mine some of are on the 4th/5th use also. you must provide enough airflow though, i had willow in 2 lots last year, the photo shows the larger lot that were placed in 3 rows tight together. i found that these logs seasoned but went black and mouldy:thumbdown:

the smaller lot was in one row, these seasoned nicely and stayed looking fresh and presentable.

all were cut within 4 days, so i can only assume that the larger lot didn't get the airflow that the smaller lot did. they were all only supposed to be on the ground for about 6 weeks (hence not on pallets) whilst i finished building the latest shed, but surprise surprise the they stayed where i put them this time last year until i finished selling a couple of days ago:blushing:

i can't fault them as a method of handling though. :thumbup:

IMG_7220.jpg.ecbf4c9e45fff327116bd706188c95bb.jpg

I've found the vented log bags superb. They are definitely the way forward. Also means that you can give better portion control.

The quality ones are tough and fully UV stabalised. Mine are on their 3rd round.

I've not looked back since using them.

I actually took delivery of my vent bags yesterday and will be loading them up at the weekend,I've got some fresh oak which will be cut into 10inch split logs, Im hoping they will be good for the run-up to Christmas.

One thing I did forget to mention is that they have the roof flap on them but I want max airflow so was just going to leave them off till September.

Last season I used wood crates which are ok but are a tip out only at my yard where as the bag can be loaded & delivered to the customer with a deposit for the bag or the price absorbed in the cost.

Thanks for the replies,loving the pictures, I will take the advice and keep a bit of space between bags,I once made the mistake of loading 50 log nets all fresh onto a pallet which looked fantastic but the ones in the centre didn't season as well and had a White mould all over them,a lesson learned!