Condemd and then down

Scottie

On thursday afternoon my boss went to look at a 60ft high beech tree that had Meripilis and condemd it there and then. It was fairly windy. Just 2 hours later he got a phone call from the same folk to say that it had just come over. It landed on top of a factory unit and just a couple of minutes before a Parcel Force van reversed down the side of the building to do a pick up. The driver was unable to go anywhere because he got trapped.

My boss has never had that senario happen to him before.

On the Friday morning we had a look at the root plate and there appeared to be only 3 roots holding the whole tree up. The rest of the roots were just a white mush.

On thursday afternoon my boss went to look at a 60ft high beech tree that had Meripilis and condemd it there and then. It was fairly windy. Just 2 hours later he got a phone call from the same folk to say that it had just come over. It landed on top of a factory unit and just a couple of minutes before a Parcel Force van reversed down the side of the building to do a pick up. The driver was unable to go anywhere because he got trapped.

My boss has never had that senario happen to him before.

On the Friday morning we had a look at the root plate and there appeared to be only 3 roots holding the whole tree up. The rest of the roots were just a white mush.

and symptoms in the crown guaranteed.

had a dead tree over a river to bring down as part of a multiday job at a caravan park. Didn't get to it the first day. Came back the second day and it was down.

Park owner was a little twitchy. Had to explain to both the park and the neighbours that i hadn't touched it. Came down 3m from a caravan.

Still, it made them take their trees a bit more seriously.

was invited to a garden party a few yrs ago, told the owner his large beech tree was a risk to his house due to having a fire against the trunck - invited back 2 yrs later noticed large bracket fungus at the top of the main trunk - strongly advised him again. The tree guys rolled up, wouldn't dismantle it and pulled it over into the next field, I don't know what held it up. Most people can't see simple risks with trees.

Here we go again, Hama V Skyhuck.

It's always interesting though and provokes more chat from others and there's always an educational element.

I'm with you on this although it is a bit quiet out there don't you think :confused1:. There is a theme here that is starting..... Beech (Fagus sp) and unpredictability. Ok so we only have 2 definite and 1 possible but it will make interesting reading.....

Here we go again, Hama V Skyhuck.

I wouldn't say that's a bad thing.

I am split between them. I can agree with Tony saying symptoms not always visible. It could be secondary attack that's caused it to fail without crown symptoms. Looking at kretz failures, crown dieback sometimes isn't evident. yet the base is knackered.

But if it was just merip that caused a fail. It could have been accelerated decay which gave little time for the tree to react to it's loss of roots. A set of high winds in the right place could have sent it over.

Although a lot of what I've just said can be criticised from different angles. Its all learning!

I wouldn't say that's a bad thing.

Although a lot of what I've just said can be criticised from different angles. Its all learning!

Nope not a bad thing - this is education for sure :thumbup1: I found this at work (I was neither consultant or arborist just a soldier) and along comes a bloke and tells the MoD to get it chopped down. The jury is out on Merip anyway so why did it have to come down? Oh and I don't know the answer but I ask to promote discussion.

090.jpg.abe2b315793947da63df7d9916ee3022.jpg

089.jpg.86526873677e43caca4c5eee5b5134a2.jpg

088.jpg.955ed824a4c823c977db864addb7dc46.jpg

087.jpg.91b3c7df79d7e5c1fa2d002d27c4ae43.jpg

When I was going around the tree with my boss he mentioned that in the upper crown, before the tree came down, he identified some of the branch tips were arching down rather than up, the way they should have been. Another identification to Meripilis.