advice on clefting

Brett

this has inspired me to finally try my hand at green woodworking.

I used to make spars/springles/brouches for a local thatcher, but having done about 4000 i decided i couldn't make the activity pay as i simply wasn't quick enough! but, much like riding a bike, you don't forget how to rive...

we have a young woodland which i have started to thin, so i've plenty of larger material to have a crack at with wedges and froe. the next set of leaf springs that come my way i may have to utilise for said froe...

i made a couple of trellis from hazel for family last year that turned out ok and my wife and i made a bench from hazel for a friend about 4 years ago, this was from a pattern and it turned out great. she keeps telling me i need a proper hobby, maybe this could be it:001_smile:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get stuck in hullsmillfarm! last night i ended up in the shed with a few sticks, hammer, wedge and axe seems to work ok but now i appreciate how a froe will work and also that a large chisel seems to be no replacement for a drawknife :001_rolleyes:

has anyone done anything with laburnum, i split a stick into about 6 peices and think it might make something interesting, the colours are really nice

hi "traditional woodland crafts" by raymond tabor has really good line drawings and descriptions of cleaving ,gate and hurdle making , and a range of brakes tools ect

sorry gave wrong title on earlier reply this is definatly the correct book

Edited by Steve Hall

• 11 months later...

So, nearly a year after posting in this thread I finally get around to making a gate! Apologies to Cracker on this, I've shamelessly copied the design of one of your's, but, the froe and drawknife you made for me were amongst the tools used to make this one.

This is my first go at a gate, (I made a shavehorse not long after this thread was started and it has sat around gathering dust since.)

I really enjoyed making this, and I hope I may be able to have it as another string to the bow and part of my business, bring on the orders!!:thumbup:

IMG_3471.jpg.efb6b2f39f54b479d98b01ed4bd98025.jpg

IMG_3462.jpg.5d708070fd24e19b723ee9684e70067d.jpg

So, nearly a year after posting in this thread I finally get around to making a gate! Apologies to Cracker on this, I've shamelessly copied the design of one of your's, but, the froe and drawknife you made for me were amongst the tools used to make this one.

This is my first go at a gate, (I made a shavehorse not long after this thread was started and it has sat around gathering dust since.)

I really enjoyed making this, and I hope I may be able to have it as another string to the bow and part of my business, bring on the orders!!:thumbup:

nice gate mate,,,:thumbup:

when you go to make your cleaving break there made different for left or right handed people the pinch being at opposit ends worth taking the time to get the break just right will make the cleaving so much easier if i get time i will try get out the wood and take a few pics of my stand just rushed off my feet at the moment