competent climbers

Gollum

when I was assesed for ariel rescue I had ten years climbing under my belt, I was given 10 minutes to affect the rescue and failed, passed later that day in 8 minutes and was apparently a fast rescue, if you need a rescue, 99% of the time your going to be bleeding out, and its more about body recovery for the ambulance crews arrival IMO

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then theres the fact i don't believe many experienced people would be mentally able to proform when their mates claret is pouring out the tree and he's screaming. Having put this question to very experienced climbers before it has make ALL think.

this is a good point. hard to say how id manage in that situation....but the last thing you're going to need to be worrying about is your climbing ability.......a seasoned climber, even if a bit panicky being forced in to the situation, would hopefully perform the climbing aspect as second nature. now a groundsman with a rescue ticket in the same situation would not only have to cope with the pressure of rescuing his friend, but also the pressure of being in an unfamiliar work enviroment(off the ground)

Im looking at doing tests regarding aerial rescues for my BSc dissertation as I have seen many people are concerned. Looking at doing comparisons with new climbers vs. experienced climbers, and also access line already installed vs. no access line. Would anybody be willing to give some time? I have not finalised my project yet but just putting it out there to see if there is any interest?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Why not just scrap the requirement for an aerial rescuer altogether?

I don't see wagon drivers or coach drivers having to have a rescue driver in case they fall asleep and kill a load of people which happens quite often.

Unless there is a very experienced, full time climber on hand with some sharp spikes and a ladder I certainly won't be expecting to get rescued.

I know that someone who just has the ticket isn't competent but do they know that? Or do others that don't really understand or care?

Why not just scrap the requirement for an aerial rescuer altogether?

I don't see wagon drivers or coach drivers having to have a rescue driver in case they fall asleep and kill a load of people which happens quite often.

Unless there is a very experienced, full time climber on hand with some sharp spikes and a ladder I certainly won't be expecting to get rescued.

I know that someone who just has the ticket isn't competent but do they know that? Or do others that don't really understand or care?

Strange comparision. In the case of HGV & PSV drivers they have a taco to restrict their hrs with rest periods.

We just crack on to get the job done,

The rescue climber is there in the event of an incident,

your second driver you say is there to stop one.

I'd love to hear the replies from the climber if the new groundy started telling him what to do.

With the issue of someone who has just got their certificate, do they know or do others care if they are competent, this is the point I am interested in peoples points of view

Im looking at doing tests regarding aerial rescues for my BSc dissertation as I have seen many people are concerned. Looking at doing comparisons with new climbers vs. experienced climbers, and also access line already installed vs. no access line. Would anybody be willing to give some time? I have not finalised my project yet but just putting it out there to see if there is any interest?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Hi Paul, depending on your time scale I would be up for helping you. New to the Arb world, off to NZ tomorrow for 3 weeks then back to do my CS30/31 then pushing on to do my CS38/CS39 in the summer. If it helps you fella then I'm more than ip for helping.

Hi Paul, depending on your time scale I would be up for helping you. New to the Arb world, off to NZ tomorrow for 3 weeks then back to do my CS30/31 then pushing on to do my CS38/CS39 in the summer. If it helps you fella then I'm more than ip for helping.

Cheers Matt, don't think it will be until May sometime as I have a lot of other university work to be doing too but I will bare you in mind, thanks again

Strange comparision. In the case of HGV & PSV drivers they have a taco to restrict their hrs with rest periods.

We just crack on to get the job done,

The rescue climber is there in the event of an incident,

your second driver you say is there to stop one.

I'd love to hear the replies from the climber if the new groundy started telling him what to do.

With the issue of someone who has just got their certificate, do they know or do others care if they are competent, this is the point I am interested in peoples points of view

Well it is a strange comparision if that's how you are going o compare it!

We have rules and regs that if we adhere to we wouldnt have an accident.

Isn't it better to stop an accident rather than respond to one?

I would love someone to have said "OI!!! You are about to slip an drop the 020 onto your hand!" :thumbup:

I do agree with what you say though about just a 2 day rescue course being pointless.

There's No way I would want the HSE to start asking for more though!

Well it is a strange comparision if that's how you are going o compare it!

We have rules and regs that if we adhere to we wouldnt have an accident.

Isn't it better to stop an accident rather than respond to one?

I would love someone to have said "OI!!! You are about to slip an drop the 020 onto your hand!" :thumbup:

I do agree with what you say though about just a 2 day rescue course being pointless.

There's No way I would want the HSE to start asking for more though!

Yes I agree it's better to prevent an accident than respond to one.

Could be a new thread - what to and not to say to your groundy or climber:laugh1:

I just don't get this concept that rescues are only needed for people who've stuck an 066 in their heart and are howling unearthly gutteral sounds while raining blood all over the worksite like a cheap B-Movie. It seems like its the only option that's ever considered?!?

The more serious the accident the lower the frequency of its occurance. Smaller, less serious (indeed those that are harmless but inconvient) incidents are more common. It's the little things that can lead to serious situations - its funny to leave a numpty hanging in dead space beacuse he twisted his ropes up, but there's a lot of paperwork if he catches hypothermia.

IMO given some of the swings I've seen people take in the name of cool, the chances of a KO are higher than a self autopsy with a 200T. All the confidence about self rescue and macho willpower in the world are in the bin the second you're hanging upside down unconcious, dribbling with your tounge hanging out. :D