How to be an excellent climber

Steve Bullman

A good climber is not lazy. They will climb out that extra couple of yards to set the rigging or get the best tie in point, spend time to put the pull rope in the right place, not badly directed through a maze of branches etc. They will make the exra 2 cuts to make it managable on the ground.

Makes all the difference sometimes

exactly!!!

a bad climber will do all the opposite, i know sometimes we are all a little lazy.......:thrasher:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He sits and enjoys a cuppa/fag/mars bar when he's down,

I normally sit and have a fag up the tree while the groundy catches up :smoker:

My groundie can now also get a cup of tea up the tree to me in one of those steel mug things :up:

Dont stop up the tree to get away from the ground work, it just takes me that long to get back up the f****r again :turtle::corkysm21:

Is this fair? My groundies (my team leader (climber) and a groundie) never manage my ropes and when it pissed down while i was up an oak today, I came down to find my climbing bag with spare rope and other kit inside, along with my rain jacket, sat in the freaking grass, soaked through where I'd left them an hour earlier.

I'd have put them in the dry, if I were in their stupid lazy selfish shoes...

That sucks renta-chimp, when I ground for people I always try to be considerate, but don't expect that others will do the same for me.

Here are some suggestions on how to be an excellent climber just to keep this thread going and on track:

(not in any order)

1: Have a good temperament, I always enjoy grounding for a cool climber, it makes the day much easier and enjoyable and even more effcient.

2: Don't expect that those down below will know exactly want you want or how you work, so make sure you give precise instructions.

3: (like 2) Go through the kit you will need and organise it ready for the climb, even show the crew how you use your kit if they don't know.

4: If a job starts going wrong don't lose you cool, and don't take it out on the crew, it may even be you fault! Instead take a step back, motivate your crew give advice in a friendly way, I know its tempting to chuck a peg and abuse at the ground crew but resist the urge!

5: Try your best to make the ground crews job easier, even if it makes your life a little harder, obviously within reason.

6: Be progressive, try to learn new tricks, techniques and kit in a bid to stay ahead of the game.

7: Most of all have fun! A happy crew is an effecient crew :)

i like that last bit, a happy crew is a efficient crew.....

the bit about keeping your cool when a jobs going wrong is hard sometimes, especially if there has been occurences like what rentachimp has done, but i do find the happier you are the easier it is.

i also found that at my last firm the lad i worked with was always ahead of the game and knew what i was going to do b4 i did it just by they way i acted in the tree, weather i was spitting my dummy out, or doing some tricky rigging he was always waiting with the right amount of wraps on the capstain or helping me out with where and what to do next, communication is always the best policy, if in doubt, shout it out..

A great climber is constantly aware of all around him, able to communicate his plans to his groundmen, able to take advice, able to work as a team with his groundmen, and willing to try something new, and to keep learning.

The fact you guys are using your free time to discuss this issue probably puts you one up on your collleagues. Any climber who thinks he know everything already and is not able to learn any more, needs to retire...he's too dangerous to keep going.

A great climber also realizes that the angles from the ground may be different than from the tree. Asking the groundman for his view, and being able to use it is paramount in professionalism. Of course having the same groundman for 15 years helps.

Just some thoughts.

• 1 month later...

The best climbers are ex groundies simple they know whats what up top and down low. And yes a cool head is a sure sign of a competent climber when the sh*t hits the fan they can smoothly work it out.

In a sentance a good climber values his groundie as much as him self theres no i in team cant work without them equal respect both jobs are equally hard in totally different ways.

• 2 weeks later...

I also think the best climbers have doen their time on the ground,it exposes them to all matter of situations and experiance's.

I also if possible involve my groundies in some of the "glorious" tasks,felling the big Spar's once you have rigged out all the branches.It might have ment that I had to block down a couple more rings to make it a bit shorter incase it didn't go where they wanted it,but its nice to get everyone involved.

I'll also set up a top rope on a spar and let the groundies have a go at spiking whilst being belayed.Happy and inclusive makes a productive team.:beer: