Other tradesman! Rant

madmatt

What is it with other tradesman?! My folks have had a lot of work carried out in the last year or so to our house and no matter how hard they try or who recommends the tradesman we seem to end up with some right muppets.

The last one is they decided to have a new fire place to accept the new stove, this project was started on the 1st of july and numpty builder has just informed me it might be finnished by tuesday if we are lucky???!!!!!!

my parents have a habit of disapearing on holiday while these projects take place and I'm getting sick of people only turning up to do half hour here half hour there. Why can't people turn up start the job finnish it and leave all in a sensible time.

Theyd soon moan if we took seven weeks to take down their little silver birch in the back garden.

The construction trade seems to have a high number of muppets in our area at the moment.

Rant over!

Doesn't matter what trade it is Matt, it's hard to find someone who actually knows what they are doing or is trained in what they are doing.

It also hard to find someone who takes pride in their work, most trades todays primary concern is the price and the money.

I have made very little out of some jobs but still kept up the high standards.

At the end of the day (god I hate that expression) each job you do is an advertisemnet of your work. You must provide high standards to each and every one of them because you never know what work you may get from them.

I can honestly say, I have never had a tradesman do a job for me and they've done it right, there's always something either wrong with it or something you noticed they've bodged years down the line.

That's why I do everything myself and don't trust anyone.

My dad and brother are both joiners, they are always busy and nether of them have ever had to do any advertising or have a sign written van, their are so few good trades men that they are in very high demand.

One tip I would give is never engage a "builder" there is no such thing, if you go onto a building site and ask for a "builder" they would look at you blank!. There are brickies, joiners, sparks, plasterers, ext. If some one calls them selfs a "builder" you may find they are a jack of all trades and a master of none.

what narks me more than anything 3 of these people have come from recommendations from other people I can only assume they like living in a tip and find 7-8 weeks acceptable for a new fire place.

dean if the money is that important to them you'd think they'd hurry up and finnish so they get paid? I just fail to see their logic!

My dad and brother are both joiners, they are always busy and nether of them have ever had to do any advertising or have a sign written van, their are so few good trades men that they are in very high demand.

One tip I would give is never engage a "builder" there is no such thing, if you go onto a building site and ask for a "builder" they would look at you blank!. There are brickies, joiners, sparks, plasterers, ext. If some one calls them selfs a "builder" you may find they are a jack of all trades and a master of none.

Agree with you there totally im a time served bricky , i have general builder on my card, but i will only build the shell then arrange to get tried and trusted trades in for the rest of the job. i also dont advertise only have a sign on my MOG and always seem to have work to keep me and 1 other several months ahead

By the sounds of it, the builder is nipping in between jobs or when he's in the area. Knows there on holiday so its no rush. I think people are right there is no passion in work no more, just there to earn a quick buck. It makes the good people look bad:thumbdown:.

I just think if you want a job done properly do it youself. In a way i work mythodicaly take my time and care get it right, Don't have to go back over it again.

I agree with the previous posts. I have only once found a tradesman who i was happy with their work and would recommend. Like Dean, I have been burnt in the past and so now do everything i can myself. However, i do feel that this might be because most of us here have pride in our work and so are as near perfectionists as we can. Whereas, as previously stated, most "builders" (jack of all trades) are in it for the money and any standard will do. The comments about the single professional are IMO correct. The lads I mentioned are plasterers only. I was recommended them by the most analy retentive person I know, who's house is like a showhouse. (He places three seperate mats down before putting a coffee cup on a table, and as soon as you finish its washed!:001_smile:) However, i knew that if he was satisfied with the plasterers i would be. They worked flat out all day, did an excelent job, even help with some lifting for me whilst there, and popped in a few weeks later whilst passing to see if i was happy with their work.

VERY HARD TO FIND NOWADAYS!

By the sounds of it, the builder is nipping in between jobs or when he's in the area. Knows there on holiday so its no rush. I think people are right there is no passion in work no more, just there to earn a quick buck. It makes the good people look bad:thumbdown:.

I just think if you want a job done properly do it youself. In a way i work mythodicaly take my time and care get it right, Don't have to go back over it again.

I'd go along with that if it was one trades man in the last 5 years we have had a new, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, and now the living room redesigned and all have been done by different tradesman and they are all as bad as each other!