free climbing for fun

bareroots

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an arb and rock climber.... im well aware of the consequences of falling.

A very good friend of mine was free climbing (rock) and the piece of rock he was holding broke away, and he ended up with horrific ankle, foot and leg injuries which took years to heal. That was from 30ft up.

I also know a guy who i used to work with that fell freeclimbing a tree and broke collar bone and dislocated shoulder, both of which had complications in healing....

All im saying is, take calculated risks and enjoy yourself, but always ask yourself...is it worth it?!!!

Ben that is a really odd photo. You look completely out of scale, must be a trick of the camera.

Hmm yea, it does look a bit strange. My mate took it with my camera set on manual, but just pointed it and shot.:confused1:

I think the houses behind make it look a larger tree, and therefore maybe I look bigger. The houses are a fair distance away though. I should be in scale with the tree which was only small..:thumbup1:

I have to confess i have always done a lot of free climbing, I feel free in the canopy, always had some strange connection to trees and was at the top of large chestnuts in junior school age (10) I havent the same level of bravado that I displayed well into my late twenties, but i still get a real kick out of free climbing old vets when I come across high fungi, and I would have to say regarding is it worth it? well yes because if I was to die doing this, freeclimbing an old vet and photographing fungi, well then i will have met an end I am happy with.

dont need no rescue, will go smiling, despite the pain! and my camera will be held aloft like some prize!

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

hama, in your twenties, what sort of stuff did you get up to?

I wont go into it wih regards to trees, not here but I once went to see the clifton suspension bridge and as we approached i decided to take a running jump onto the side walls, It was a perfect landing a sweet leap.

The security guard however was screaming as he ran towards us, he thought i was a suicide case! lmao:lol:

Thats some drop off that bridge i can tell ya, got some photos i oughta scan in.