Aerial rescue/Access lines??

atree

Unless you have a lanyard on, or there is something below you to get stuck in or on.

Not dismissing the system altogether, but it is absolutely not a substitute for having a qualified, equipped and experienced rescuer on site, as required in the UK.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly in black and white since 2005, not too sure what legislation the work at height regs replaced in 2005, but it has been covered by HSE backed industry guidelines since 1995? when the FASTCO (now AFAG) guidance and NPTC units were revised to include aerial rescue.

Like most health and safety issues, it is only enforced if there is an accident, or a spot inspection from the HSE. There have been several instances of tree firms in the UK being issued with compliance orders from the HSE to put aerial rescue provision in place.

Many small firms do struggle to comply, since the business owner is often the main climber, some companies choose not to bother with rescue provision at all.

Interestingly although the HSE has a very small direct impact due to the relatively low number of site inspections and investigated accidents, some clients such as local authorities and large contracting firms choose to make compliance with H&S legislation, including aerial rescue provision, part of the contract/tendering process. So you could say it is enforced, but not by a government agency.

I tend to go with if I can be reached easy by ladder then a ladder & second climbing kit & someone who can use it near by.

If not I will put in a second line & ladder near by ect.

First form of rescue & most used is self rescue so constantly reminding those that may be new to the way a site should work to keep your line clear so you can bail quick if u need to.

Next time you're finished up a biggish tree with a bit of time to spare, stick one hand in a pocket and descend using the other one. Harder than it sounds sometimes. No cheating. Practice with both hands now and then.

Even with a top rescue climber and/or 2nd access line, getting yourself down quickly will probably save your life more often than any other method.

i tend to have an access line in the tree if it difficult to get into or a high tree. The more difficult the tree to access the longer it will take in an emergency situation.

Im the foreman of a small crew, and value safety in the workplace. so i and my team practice an aerial rescue every 2 weeks. But keep mixing it up, its easy to practice the same box standard rescue every other week. throw a few scenarios into it. The more prepared you are for this situation the better it will be come that day.

Im looking at doing tests regarding aerial rescues for my BSc dissertation as I have seen many people are concerned. Looking at doing comparisons with new climbers vs. experienced climbers, and also access line already installed vs. no access line. Would anybody be willing to give some time? I have not finalised my project yet but just putting it out there to see if there is any interest?

Thanks in advance

Paul

i tend to have an access line in the tree if it difficult to get into or a high tree. The more difficult the tree to access the longer it will take in an emergency situation.

Im the foreman of a small crew, and value safety in the workplace. so i and my team practice an aerial rescue every 2 weeks. But keep mixing it up, its easy to practice the same box standard rescue every other week. throw a few scenarios into it. The more prepared you are for this situation the better it will be come that day.

Hi dom,

Yeah just got to practice more often

Cheers

Adam