Lantra or NPTC?

Rigodon

They are seperate, but LANTRA training will give you the knowledge required to pass an NPTC test, which is usually offered as part of the course fee on a LANTRA course. LANTRA (i think) will train and assess you for basic Land based skills, in the area of chainsaw use the most basic tickets, and you can (and usually are ) be issued with a certificate at the end to show you have received training in that subject area. However if you want to do more advanced units then in order to fulfill most employers requirements in the UK and all abroad, the NPTC test will be required to be passed. You are not required to undergo LANTRA traiing to sit an NPTC test, but unless you are experienced and au fait with the NPTC 'syllabus' you would be well advised to prepare yourself for the NPTC test with a LANTRA training course.

The above may have made it as clear as mud......:blushing::laugh1:

i went through this with our local training group and was told the folowing,

The Lantra course will only cover the trainee for felling trees up to a maximum diameter of 200mm and only on their own or employer’s land. I have checked the maximum diameter for cross-cutting and it is 380mm as long as the tree is on the ground and not hung up. There is no possibility of progression with the Lantra course and trainees cannot move from this course on to felling medium trees. The NPTC course and assessment (CS30/31) will enable the trainee to fell trees to a maximum diameter of 380mm and undertake contract work. Once CS30 & CS31 have been passed it is possible for the trainee to move on to CS32 – medium trees (380 – 760mm diameter) and other associated courses.

hope this helps

NPTC started as a self appointed body many many moons ago, LANTRA was the old agri training board. A few years ago city and guilds bought or aqiured NPTC. When i was at LANTRA last the staff told us that the NPTC went through LANTRA for the courses. The hedgelaying society have just been on this trip and we accept both certs.

The LANTRA courses last five years, the NPTC is for life BUT they are now say you should be assessed every five years ?? this is another story!!!!. Heard today on the news that there is going to be a big shake up in the heath & safety business.

Firms giving the wrong advice (wrong info) are to be targeted.

Oh!! thanks to all...

so cs30 cs31 ntpc is what is worth getting if I understand right here...?? :)

All this exist in Spain, where I'm from, but nobody cares...

I worked climbing for 4-5 years without even cross cutting done. Which is bad, but in the other hand it's a bit crazy in here with so much normative...

Makes it very difficult for people to start working and I am not too sure if it gets ride of the cowboys...

Ola Rigodon, 'buenos dias, como estas hoi'? (sorry that's about as far as I go...sadly!)

The requirement stems from the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regs. 1998 (PUWER 98) Reg. 8 Training - which states that where a chainsaw is to be used a 'certificate of competence' is required, currently only the NPTC (National Proficiency Test Council, part of City & Guilds group) provides this opportunity.

The confusion starts with chippers and grinders where ther are NPTC certs. available but the requirement is for 'adequate training', hence the Lantra Awards Integrated Training and Assessment (ITA) route is often preferred, i.e. same perosn trains AND assesses.

Thought the NPTC model did exist in Spain, or at least in Barcelona?

Cheers..

Paul