Libya

Treemon

Maybe if you was indian or lived in india you would understand it as not many of us do live or have lived there we cant explain:confused1:

I reckon with all the africaln countrie revoulting it could be a 3rd world war except itll be button pushing not combat

What I was getting at was the fact that India is one of the world's fastest developing economies and one of the largest, not withstanding they can afford to have nuclear armourments so why is the UK giving them aid that they can obviously afford themselves? Add to that the recent commonwealth games, cricket world cup etc and too be perfectly honest they don't need aid. What they need is a rethinking of their priorities.

As far as a third world war I would be more worried about those that are technically equiped such as NK or Iran. A good friend of mine who is very into his militaria seems to believe that it will more than likely be a rogue state or dictatorship and certainly if someone like Ghaddafi threatened many of those in the Arab league would not put up with it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its the same sort of instance as why we started the Iraq war. Oil and a nasty dictator ruling the country. I wonder how many of our troops will be sent over there.

I think they may be trying to learn from thr mistakes of Iraq.

When we pushed Saddam out of Kuwait the marsh Arabs rose up, but we failed to help them, he then gassed them.

Its far better if we can help his own people to overthrow him.

Also if the domino affect of these revolts is seen to be stropped by the dictator using force, there is much less chance of other country's frighting for their freedom.

I have always been in favour of military intervention to remove dictators... til now. Maybe its my aging, perhaps getting wiser with age, perhaps a growing unwillingness to be hood-winked by government spin, but I fail to see how the removal of an Evil Dictator will help these Middle Eastern countries. The removal of Hussein created a power vacuum, and I'm sure this will happen with Libya. The populace of many of these countries may be oppressed, but they would prefer that than to be pawns in our war games, and once again we will be drawn into a "policing" role, with our forces being killed. These Middle Eastern countries have been in turmoil since times immemorial, and it seems to take a firm hand to control them, and like it or not, the likes of Hussein and Ghaddafi fill that role. If the boot was to be on the other foot, how would we feel if another nation tried to take control of us, by force?

Also if the domino affect of these revolts is seen to be stropped by the dictator using force, there is much less chance of other country's frighting for their freedom.

Yes!....Yes!! We should stand up and throw off OUR dictaor - The EU!

I like the way we take on another military burden when there are great cutbacks within the services and huge deficits with the home budget. Is this another case of diverting the voters attention?

That having been said, Muammer Gadafi sponsored the IRA throughout the troubles and was responsible for Lockerbie amongst many other atrocities.

I appreciate what everyone is saying here but what seems to be missing is the point that the people are creating a revolution because they aren't happy with the way their country is being run. The bonus for us is that we can assist by sending a few planes and hopefully the Arab nations will do the rest with little intervention from us!! The people are the important factor here. The problem is the main reason we are helping is undoubtedly is oil!!