Sequoia suitable for larger people?

Ja-mes

Hi all,

I'm currently doing an arb course at college and I've just started my cs38. I need a harness, I'm not employed by a tree firm at the moment so I need all the practice I can get.

Im quite a large bloke, 6'2", 17 stone 36ish waist. I have been using a weaver harness at college and while it fits ok it isn't the most comfy and I found my legs were very restricted. I have been told that the Skylotec would suit my size but I was just wondering whether the Sequoia in large/extra large size would fit me too.

Thanks

Ok, I will have a look, see if I can find a dealer nearby. Can anyone point me in the direction of any in Dorset, nearish to Dorchester?

In general though, I know some harnesses are suited to more slender people, is the Sequoia one of those?

Edited by Ja-mes

Guess it's better to actually try them before I buy, after all, they aren't cheap and I'd only end up regretting it I guess. I'm just really keen to get some practice in. I'll have a look for some arb shops in my area. If anyone knows of any I'd be grateful if you'd point me in the right direction.

I''ll look up dates of shows too, although I'm quite keen to get my harness as soon as really.

On a separate note, I recently bought a few karabiners, some prusik cord, a 37m length of ropewith 1 end spliced and a helmet. I wasn't using any more than this at college climbing using 2 prusiks and figured this would be ok for the basics. Can anyone suggest anything else that I would need, apart from the harness of course.

Guess it's better to actually try them before I buy, after all, they aren't cheap and I'd only end up regretting it I guess. I'm just really keen to get some practice in. I'll have a look for some arb shops in my area. If anyone knows of any I'd be grateful if you'd point me in the right direction.

I''ll look up dates of shows too, although I'm quite keen to get my harness as soon as really.

On a separate note, I recently bought a few karabiners, some prusik cord, a 37m length of ropewith 1 end spliced and a helmet. I wasn't using any more than this at college climbing using 2 prusiks and figured this would be ok for the basics. Can anyone suggest anything else that I would need, apart from the harness of course.

A cambium saver, possibly?

A lanyard/strop is a must...well sort of. Some people climb with both ends of their rope, but thats just a pain :001_rolleyes:

Can be cheap too. Probably about 3+ meters of climbing line, a carabiner, a prussic & a pulley to make it a bit easier.

Ok, thanks. Yeah, was using both ends of my line with prusiks at college. So the idea with a strop is that instead of progressing by alternating between the different ends of the line you just attach yourself to the limb with the strop, then disconnect from your climbing line, re-position it, reconnect and continue?

Ok, thanks. Yeah, was using both ends of my line with prusiks at college. So the idea with a strop is that instead of progressing by alternating between the different ends of the line you just attach yourself to the limb with the strop, then disconnect from your climbing line, re-position it, reconnect and continue?

depends how you get comfortable with climbing realy mate. some people climb with both ends some with one and a lanyard some people climb with 3 pointss of attacthment particually during my chainsaw in a tree course i found this helpful but to be a commercial climber it slows you down alot most of the time.....

imm only just starting to understand it mate so youll have alot of tinkering with what ever kit you have....

also a tape sling is a good idea a pulley and some friction cord. a flip line and if you really have some cash some spikes.:001_smile: