The importantance of a hard hat.

button1803

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking at getting a petzl helmet but it says they are not to be used on the ground, only in the tree. HB's website I think.

Can anyone shed any light on this??

Forestry helmets should have a peak at the front and small vent holes. Climbing helmets can have no peak and large air holes.

Someone should make decent holes in Forest helmets as much too hot in summertime:thumbdown:

Today another day like any other...

was on site with my work mate and through sheer accident a conifer branch came down and took my hard hat off and knocked me for 6.!

went to the local doctors, got checked over, no need for a trip to hospital though, just lots of different pain killers and muscle relax tablets to take..

just sevre whip lash kinda feeling basically and a very sore neck ... but could of been alot worse..

but just wanted to say thank god for the hard hat, how ever it is a worry when i have seen this week some people doing tree work with no hard hat on whilst on the ground.

could of been alot worse for me today. stay safe everyone. :thumbup1:

You say it was a sheer accident, this may not be the case have you reviewed you work practices? I olny say this as we have had a number of incidents/near misses simular to this and always cam down to ground satff entering the drop zone at the wrong time combined with a lck of communication... such as climber leaving large hangers in tree and not relaying this to groundstaff....

Glad your ok but some critical reflection may stop this happening again....

sorry shaun (it was my fault really) :thumbdown:

hope you are fine by monday!

Nah dont worry about it mate, all still here and good.

Im ok, just a bit of a sore neck thats all...

at least ive got a good reason to sit and watch the rugby and sport this weekend and the mrs cant complain ha ha

:thumbup1:

Glad you're ok!

I was out with a dealer doing a demo for an authority last week when we went past some "tree surgeons" on the side of a busy main road, section felling a horse chestnut. No signs, no cones, no stop/go board. Just an unmarked, fixed bed white transit parked on the pavement, two guys on the floor in jeans and trainers and the climber dressed exactly the same and none with any form of ear/eye/head protection........

How you professional tree surgeons manage to still make a living when there are idiots out there prepared to cut every corner is beyond me.:confused1:

Glad you're ok!

I was out with a dealer doing a demo for an authority last week when we went past some "tree surgeons" on the side of a busy main road, section felling a horse chestnut. No signs, no cones, no stop/go board. Just an unmarked, fixed bed white transit parked on the pavement, two guys on the floor in jeans and trainers and the climber dressed exactly the same and none with any form of ear/eye/head protection........

How you professional tree surgeons manage to still make a living when there are idiots out there prepared to cut every corner is beyond me.:confused1:

This type are gradually being eradicated due to head injuries....