Navara MPG

Brushcutter

The quoted MPG, versus actual MPG are interesting. It seems that on all the car reviews, they give you the test MPG, and it's invariably much lower than the manufacturers figure.

In my mind, the biggest factor determining MPG is driving style. I've been in many a vehicle with many a driver who accelerates hard, brakes late and doesn't know how to use a gearbox. Consequently, they pay at the pump.

As anyone who knows me well enough will attest, I have a bit of an OCD for numbers, and find the calculations and figures regarding economy and speed fascinating. The reason why the Navara doesn't do too well on fuel is it's drag coefficient (0.46 - compared to 0.26 to 0.30 for many cars). It's heavy, but then so are most modern cars, and their efficiencies are much better.

I've got a Navara coming at the end of the month, so it will be interesting to see what's possible to get out of it. Obviously, you have a period at the start where the economy is lower due to the engine 'bedding in', but I bet you all a groat I can get 40mpg out of it on a run! A roads are the best for general economy I find. Motorways are too quick, and the air resistance kills the economy. For instance, in an old Volvo 850 tdi I used to have, 60mph would get you 60mpg (shown on computer, but backed up at pump) but 90mph would get your 31mpg.

Jonathan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not looking good. Looks like i'm going to get no where near my D22 fuel efficency, although it took me a while to get it upto and settle at that. It's this new Euro 4 engine thats killed the MPG seems the Euro 3 wasn't as heavy on the fuel.

Works out well for the tax man though, just not the environment or my pocket.

The quoted MPG, versus actual MPG are interesting. It seems that on all the car reviews, they give you the test MPG, and it's invariably much lower than the manufacturers figure.

In my mind, the biggest factor determining MPG is driving style. I've been in many a vehicle with many a driver who accelerates hard, brakes late and doesn't know how to use a gearbox. Consequently, they pay at the pump.

As anyone who knows me well enough will attest, I have a bit of an OCD for numbers, and find the calculations and figures regarding economy and speed fascinating. The reason why the Navara doesn't do too well on fuel is it's drag coefficient (0.46 - compared to 0.26 to 0.30 for many cars). It's heavy, but then so are most modern cars, and their efficiencies are much better.

I've got a Navara coming at the end of the month, so it will be interesting to see what's possible to get out of it. Obviously, you have a period at the start where the economy is lower due to the engine 'bedding in', but I bet you all a groat I can get 40mpg out of it on a run! A roads are the best for general economy I find. Motorways are too quick, and the air resistance kills the economy. For instance, in an old Volvo 850 tdi I used to have, 60mph would get you 60mpg (shown on computer, but backed up at pump) but 90mph would get your 31mpg.

Jonathan

I agree, in 5th doing about 60 -75 I get around 38-40+ but as soon as I get over 70 or 6th gear it goes down to the quoted levels I mentioned earlier.

Why avoid rangers? My single cab averages 30mpg over a tank, on non motorway driving at 56-60 and town driving included. On a motorway it averages 35 over a tank, though i can't be certain, I don't use them often enough to work it out. Its got rancher tyres on it, they make some noise. All my mpg is worked out at the pump / with milage, mines not got a fancy computer in it

Why avoid rangers? My single cab averages 30mpg over a tank, on non motorway driving at 56-60 and town driving included. On a motorway it averages 35 over a tank, though i can't be certain, I don't use them often enough to work it out. Its got rancher tyres on it, they make some noise. All my mpg is worked out at the pump / with milage, mines not got a fancy computer in it

Of all the trucks and vans I've owned, the Ranger and Transit were the worst by a long way, once you've had a Japanese truck/lorry/van you'll never look at a Ford again mate, I don't think I'm alone either compare the independent reviews of the Ranger against the Hilux

Ford Ranger road test reports | Ford Ranger consumer car reviews | RoadTestReports.co.uk

Toyota Hilux road test reports | Toyota Hilux consumer car reviews | RoadTestReports.co.uk

Jonathan

I'm planning on getting a hard top for a sungtop or the like. Surely that would lower the drag coefficent?

I'm planning on getting a hard top for a sungtop or the like. Surely that would lower the drag coefficent?

I would imagine that it would actually - I believe that the tailgate on open top pickups is a major cause of aerodynamic drag. Got mine coming with a hardtop, so will be interesting to see how it fairs.

Having spent the last two weeks driving like an old lady to squeeze out the miles I've dragged 450 miles from 70 litres from my 57 plate Navvy. I think that's ~29mpg but there was no heavy work, i.e.no towing, no big loads. When the chipper goes on the back it's nearer 2.9mpg! I'm running AT2s.