Trust in the gear !?!?

swe#kipp

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well sounds like I have to keep on climbing and things should be better, thing is I feel safer climbing on the limbs with out any gear at all, So it's maybe more about getting used to all the gear :)

Thanks for all replys !!!

once you get the hang of using the harness it becomes alot easier to get right out on a limb easily and safely

I think the focus needs to be on all the elements that keep you safe. Once they have all had your good attention and assessment there ought to be a narrower focus on what will keep you safe through the job.

For example it starts with things like do I know how to do what I'm proposing to do?

It ought to move through gear selection and maintaining its condition, assessment of the tree and surrounds and then stay on the job in hand--the attachments right in front of you, the cutting implements and how they might behave in the worst case scenario, how the tree might react in the worst case etc.

If your focus might be on your music player or anything else you risk missing something one day that might be vital to your well-being.

If you are focussing on if an industry standard rope will hold you (for instance) when it has been well maintained I suggest shifting your attention to the things that do matter are in your direct control and have not been under the attention and scrutiny worldwide over the years by thousands of others.

It's you and what is right in front of, around and above and sometimes below you which is the key to your smooth safe operation in a tree.

"Be here now!"

You should have faith in the construction of good gear; part of this is knowing the tensile strengths etc. But you should check it's condition; and your application of the gear.

A 7k line doubled over to holding you with both legs is farily sound...... if it is in good condition, and you tie knots properly and don't cut it. So, this is a mutli-dimensional answer; partially dependant on your knowledge of the gear, it's condition, your application of said gear; and no accidents...

For me it was learning to trust the rope. When I started I would always climb the tree when many of the times I should have been climbing the rope and using it as an advantage.

Someone had mentioned slipping and taking an unexpected swing and I agree with them. When that happened with me is when I learned to not fear the rope. Of course experience and repetition will certainly help over come this.

• 4 years later...

all good posts,mainly just don't worry about speed. even now when i know i've attached my lanyard properly i take time to look, every thing is almost like superstition, do this from left to right , check that twice ect. ear muffs help cos you focus more without enviroment sound distraction