Screw Gate Karabiners

Leyburn Lad

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i remember once watching a mate of mine in a tree about 10 yrs ago using screw gates and his saw strop came undone and fell off flying through the air it banged onto a telephone wire snapping on to it then it proceeded to run off down the wire into the middle of the road ... very funny to watch but damed hard to get the thing back. still laugh at it today :001_smile:

nothing you do supprises me any more

Used sensibly there's nothing wrong with them.

Re-directs should be an aid to work positioning not life support.

When I'm doing a long branch walk I put in redirects on a branch above to control swing should their be any. I don't put them in to hold my weight, my weight is on the branch I stood on.

As a matter of interest does anyone know if there is anything written down in gods big book of rules of tree climbing that says I can't use spring gate crabs for redirects

Have any of you tried the new isc springlock karabener? Its difficult to grasp at first but once I got the hang of it I found it really quite good.

Petzyl are also bringing out a relativly cheap karabener. Tested to 30kn it seems the ticket to me

As a matter of interest does anyone know if there is anything written down in gods big book of rules of tree climbing that says I can't use spring gate crabs for redirects

Guide to good climbing practice & NTPC CS38 Guidance refers to 3-way for all parts of a climbing system.

Thats irrelevant though really 'cos why would you want to? Three way lockers don't cost any more and the arguement that they're difficult to open one-handed is pathetic. :D

"best practice", "guide", "guidance", and "recommendation", are not quite the cuddly terms they sound.

Fine if you never have an accident, if you do then you need to be able to show that you had a good reason for going against advice.

"I had the karabiners in my bag and I didnt like to throw them away and buy some triple lockers" would not be considered an adequate reason, IMO.

Whether it would affect your insurance, I dont know. Depends on the small print.

"best practice", "guide", "guidance", and "recommendation", are not quite the cuddly terms they sound.

Fine if you never have an accident, if you do then you need to be able to show that you had a good reason for going against advice.

I've watched Rupes vids of his work climbing comp in Ireland. I bet "best practice" "guide" and "Guidance" doesn't say you can fly about in the crown like a demented lunatic burning friction knots out like they're going out of fashion. :sneaky2::001_tongue: