Learning a new language?

josharb87

Anyone learnt a new language from scratch??

How did you do it?

Any tips or advise?

Im taking evening classes, but struggle to concentrate as soon as it goes slightly over my head (often) then im lost for the rest of the class.

Reading books, i can do a maximum of 2 pages before concentration is gone (this applies to any books-dyslexia kicking in).

Any hints or tips appreciated :thumbup1:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive just started to learn german, for work purposes. i am very much like you on the concentration stakes so what ive done is bought a german for dummies 3 CD set and put them in the car and on the ipod. I'm hopeing if i just keep listening to it over and over, something will sink in! i am getting a bit self concious when i'm sat in traffic and repeating phrases like "two beers please" to my car stereo though.

unless you live in the area and mix with locals you can scrap any classes.

Watching movies, reading books/newspapers etc and listening to songs/radio may help a lot also forcing yourself to learn new words every day and revising the ones you've learnt on a regular basis will help a lot.

Vocabulary first followed by the grammar.

Personal experience.

Good luck!

The problem I have with trying to learn any Nordic language is that the locals are generally pro-English and respond back in English. Thinking it will help you...

I have a 'Teach Yourself Norwegian' book and double CD. My mate recommended it as he runs the UK arm or a Noggy Engineering consultancy company.

I find my missus does my head in as she speaks a different dialect so is forever correcting me.

Imagine a foreigner trying to learn the Queens English an some daft Northerner like Jimmy Nail or Jane Middlemiss correcting them on their pronunciation.

I have given up (sort off) and am now learning at the pace of my 3.5 year old son.

I've got a german for dummies ap on the I phone, helps some times if I see some thing and want to know what it is but seem to have a memory like a gold fish so can't remember much!! Antje speaks german to her kids a lot so I can pick up more that way or if we go and stay with her relatives I pick things up but I guess your already in that scenario Josh , One of many things I would love to do is learn to speak german.

would love to buy some woodland and live there if prices stay the same but I doubt it!

ive just started to learn german, for work purposes. i am very much like you on the concentration stakes so what ive done is bought a german for dummies 3 CD set and put them in the car and on the ipod. I'm hopeing if i just keep listening to it over and over, something will sink in! i am getting a bit self concious when i'm sat in traffic and repeating phrases like "two beers please" to my car stereo though.

Thats a good idea, ive got a basic basic cd, but ive been told the vocabulary they use isnt 'correct' like speaking the queens english

Sweden has local run courses but mixing with locals and not talking in English helps.

since i moved here ive had a good circle of swedish friends. maybe i should insist they speak more swedish, then i feel like i kill the atmosphere though . .

My sister learnt french quite quick with this programme,

Language Learning with Rosetta Stone

it seems to get good review, i was at night school learning gaelic for a while but if you dont keep it up you forget most of it.:blushing:

cool, ill have a look:thumbup1:

unless you live in the area and mix with locals you can scrap any classes.

Watching movies, reading books/newspapers etc and listening to songs/radio may help a lot also forcing yourself to learn new words every day and revising the ones you've learnt on a regular basis will help a lot.

Vocabulary first followed by the grammar.

Personal experience.

Good luck!

Interesting . . ive lived here 11 months, started taking classes start of the year, the classes and books seem to teach correct grammer first, perhaps thats something to change, thanks:thumbup1:

When i lived in sweden i found it quite hard too, it doesn't help when their second language is english and 90% of the swedes speak it too.

Also by the sounds of it actions speak louder than words for you anyway, get your other half to just speak swedish to you (not just in the bedroom :biggrin:).

It took me a few years to get use to it but that was mainly for the work i done, socialy it was back to english. Then came back to uk and forgot most of it :blushing:

The problem I have with trying to learn any Nordic language is that the locals are generally pro-English and respond back in English. Thinking it will help you...

I have a 'Teach Yourself Norwegian' book and double CD. My mate recommended it as he runs the UK arm or a Noggy Engineering consultancy company.

I find my missus does my head in as she speaks a different dialect so is forever correcting me.

Imagine a foreigner trying to learn the Queens English an some daft Northerner like Jimmy Nail or Jane Middlemiss correcting them on their pronunciation.

I have given up (sort off) and am now learning at the pace of my 3.5 year old son.

everyone WANTS to practise their english! and i aint gonna get a son to learn a language:001_tongue::sneaky2:

Marie has a northern dialect, Swedish friends a stockholm dialect, builder friends a simple dialect, always drunken always about girls . .

I've got a german for dummies ap on the I phone, helps some times if I see some thing and want to know what it is but seem to have a memory like a gold fish so can't remember much!! Antje speaks german to her kids a lot so I can pick up more that way or if we go and stay with her relatives I pick things up but I guess your already in that scenario Josh , One of many things I would love to do is learn to speak german.

would love to buy some woodland and live there if prices stay the same but I doubt it!

can you get aps on an android phone?