Is arb the only industry that people work for free to try and get a job

eggsarascal

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I am concerned there have been several different points raised around the one question so for what it's worth here are my thoughts.

1. I would do a couple of days free as a working interview if I thought there was a possibility of a job at the end NOT if I thought the prospective employer was feeding me the proverbial to get free labour. And it would probably only be a couple of days unless the prosepctive employer and I could negotiate further, maybe because they needed to see a wider range of skills. I think a week is pushing it a bit.

2. I often do work for free, in fact I dismantled a large tree for the local Christian Camp on Friday after seeing them trying to attempt it themselves. I couldn't live with myself if I walked away and someone died (not my problem I know but still) and I do the occasional tree for those in need, the elderly etc. The same as I might throw in a couple of extras at no charge. The warm fuzzies I get off it far outways the monetery cost. Plus, I leave the job with a happy customer and word of mouth is gold in this day.

3. If I wanted to further my knowledge of something and I could do this by working for another company etc I would gladly do this for free as the knowledge I gained would be of benefit to myself somewhere down the line. For example, I would happily work with someone like Hama just to have a tiny portion of his knowledge on all things shroomy.

As far as I am concerned there have been several different points raised around the one question so for what it's worth here are my thoughts.

1. I would do a couple of days free as a working interview if I thought there was a possibility of a job at the end NOT if I thought the prospective employer was feeding me the proverbial to get free labour. And it would probably only be a couple of days unless the prosepctive employer and I could negotiate further, maybe because they needed to see a wider range of skills. I think a week is pushing it a bit.

2. I often do work for free, in fact I dismantled a large tree for the local Christian Camp on Friday after seeing them trying to attempt it themselves. I couldn't live with myself if I walked away and someone died (not my problem I know but still) and I do the occasional tree for those in need, the elderly etc. The same as I might throw in a couple of extras at no charge. The warm fuzzies I get off it far outways the monetery cost. Plus, I leave the job with a happy customer and word of mouth is gold in this day.

3. If I wanted to further my knowledge of something and I could do this by working for another company etc I would gladly do this for free as the knowledge I gained would be of benefit to myself somewhere down the line. For example, I would happily work with someone like Hama just to have a tiny portion of his knowledge on all things shroomy.

Aha, but its not for free, you are still getting a lot out of it.:001_smile:

Work for nothing just because,

A) you're inexperienced?

NO, just because you have started out in the Forestryt/Arb world it does not mean that you should work for nowt just to gain experience. A flat rate should be given then if you do a good job extra should be added. Do not entertain the people who can get a weeks work out of you for peanuts(unless you are a monkey).

B)The job satisfaction?

NO, A Hedge is a hedge, a Tree is a tree, a Job is a job! We need to make money whatever the circumstances. I do not see how doing free jobs for people gets your business running if they pass info to other people stating that you done their job for nothing! You only get known as the guy who will do jobs for next to nowt! It aint challenge Anneka.(if you know what i mean).

My next door neighbour is a brickie, i never hear of him talking about hooking up with other brickies on a saturday just to go and build a wall for the hell of it, why do people do Arb work on trees other than for money? Mind you, i've never got a boner for looking at a tree and thinking i'll climb it for the challenge! (some people do).

It is no wonder that it is one of the lowest paid skilled trades. It is a small industry full of people willing to do work for nothing.

Negotiate a competative rate, show willing and work hard, do not be afraid to ask for advice.