How prevalent are Bats ?

David Humphries

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monkey-D

We have a healthy amount of bats flying around my house during the summer months and I've always wondered where they roost. We have a big old Oak tree in the garden that is missing a good chunk of bark with a crack running up it, the split is about 1cm wide. Do you think there is a good chance they are roosting in the Oak?

Whats the best way for me to check as I need to remove some damaged branches for the tree and I wouldn't want to disturb them.

Cheers

Stevie

Hi stevie mac.

The easiest way to know if you have bats in your tree is to stand -or sit as I do in a chair,with either a glass on wine.beer,loved one whatever and watch to see what comes out at dusk.Get yourself a cheap bat detector off ebay and give it a whirl.If you want to be more thorough then you need to have your tree under observation from about one hour before dawn.If any bats are using your tree as a roost then they will come back in the morning and swarm around the entry point ( a bit like bees round a hive-hence the term ).Alternatively contact your local bat club/group and invite them to do it. Your can enjoy your drink ,meet some interesting characters and still lie in bed till after dawn.Ah happy memories !!

Similar to Steve, twice in about 15yrs, once in a woodland felling, when a bat hastily evacuated a falling tree, and an ivy clad Ash we were felling. Interestingly, when we were working in that woodland, and I saw the bat move on, I rang natural England and they said not to worry as the bats will find another tree! Common sense approach really.

I have seen bats once in a old Beech tree in a old church yard, they were Pips but unfortunately their lair was cut out of the tree, it was maybe 15 years ago and we weren't then as aware as we are today and before I get a slagging, I was grounding that day, we did go on a Bat awarness evening with BANES council years back, lovely summer evening, Beech woods, Bat detectors, good fun.

I am not in arb as a profession as such (although I split an unhealthy amount of logs) so this is not a qualified question or me saying this is what I do, but how many of you offer to put up Bat boxes whilst up the trees as a way of the customer putting something back in for very little effort and with minimal cost?

I would be very impressed if there was a surgeon who offered to do this for me, whilst I know there are some people who just don't care but I bet loads would take you up on the offer if you did it for a reasonable cost.