Trailer chip box

charlie batten

Hi, I recently got myself a 126T IforWilliams tipper and im wanting to build a removable chip box. Has anyone done this? if so some info and pics would be really useful. We've used it a coule of times already to chip into but just stood some old boards up but it looks a bit rough. Some pics for ya....

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

I do the same; 8'x5' tipper = 5'x4' headboard (cut from 8'x4' sheet ply) and two side g.boards 4'x8'. Two slots in the front of the side boards near the top and a ratchet strap holds it all together around the lader rack which yours has. Once the ply looks manky I bin it and buy another set; typically once a year so £60ish a year. :biggrin:

if you can, get the mesh sides made by ifor, then bolt some ply to them to stop chip going through, easily removable piece by piece then, i have a 12ft ifor which i have mesh sides on and a high back ramp, it will fit loads of chip or logs or anything in, plus if access is tricky you can remove a panel, chip against any other panel, then when you need to move, put the panel back on. nice and simple

I built mesh sides for my 8x5 trailer a few weeks ago

It's inch weldmesh, you could cable tie tarpaulin or black plastic dpm to the inside for a light way of holding chip?

P1010177x.jpg

(halfway through painting)

P2140022x.jpg

if you can, get the mesh sides made by ifor, then bolt some ply to them to stop chip going through, easily removable piece by piece then, i have a 12ft ifor which i have mesh sides on and a high back ramp, it will fit loads of chip or logs or anything in, plus if access is tricky you can remove a panel, chip against any other panel, then when you need to move, put the panel back on. nice and simple

We have a 14 x 6 ft twin axle with the caged sides. We do the exact same as you. We put a mark on the plywood to tell us when the trailer is at the vehicles max towing weight. Only had it overloaded once then decided to have 2.7 ton of chippings loaded in and level then routed a line into the 12mm marine ply. Its held in by cable ties so its nice and easy to remove. But certainly makes it feel like your dragging a parachute behind you and in a crosswind it has almost caught us out.