ford transit

Mani

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have regularly used ahern who have a weight bridge and my truck unlaiden weighs 2150kgs that is with my chip box that means i can haul 1.35 tonne i think that is adequete.

On a big job two transits thats 2.7 tonne much cheaper than buying and running 1 7.5 tonner.

On a big job two transits thats 2.7 tonne much cheaper than buying and running 1 7.5 tonner.

Never in a million years, my old lorry could carry three times the amount a transit can, if I did tree work again i'd be getting a 7.5 ton truck or sit my hgv for an even bigger truck, no doubt about it..

SBTC, have you taken your transit to a weighbridge? Aren't the crew cabs really heavy. As to only half filling it.. Honestly if you've got the space you'll fill it..

no, we have never taken it to a weighbridge. yes they are really heavy...and yes we can only half fill it with chips...any more and it spills over the tailgate, we have no back doors on it.

I appreciate an internet forum is the perfect place to display an unwavering obligation to rules and regulations.

As a small company we find the vehicle we have serves our purpose very nicely. I hope you don't get the impression we are driving round with a van load of kit, a full load of woodchip and a chipper on the hitch...as I said before it requires a bit of common sense using a 350 in our job. Planning ahead, several sites for storing woodchip/logs spread over a wide area, other options available should the need for carrying alot of weight arise..etc etc..are all things that can be implemented to assist a small firm with a small vehicle run a successful tree surgery firm.

Could I honestly say we have never travelled over weight..??..no

if I did tree work again i'd be getting a 7.5 ton truck or sit my hgv for an even bigger truck, no doubt about it..

you see, we seriously looked at a 7.5 tonner...The problem is, with the other vehicles on the firm, we can only really afford to run one chip truck. Whilst on big jobs with no access issues the 7.5t would be great...on all the bread and butter type work, tight driveways etc...it just wouldn't be practical...the amount of work where the chip/firewood is staying on site added to the amount of jobs that require a smaller vehicle far outweigh the amount of jobs where a 7.5t would be useful.

I'm sure this is more down to the firm (us) as an individual, than what is suitable for the profession as a whole.

7.5 tonners do not have to be the generic Iveco favoured by tarmac gangs. There are smaller chassis cabs available that can be rated as 5-7.5 tonners. If I went back into treework, I doubt if I would look at a Transit. (I've only had 9 in the past) After seeing what else is available and how other people operate I would really consider the alternatives.

We would all like a unimog well i would but you will never beat the price of a transit which will always rule.

You can afford to fix it unlike a 7.5 tonne where you need a tacho needs alot of service plus you need hgv to drive one and where the hell do you park the fecker.

Ok, In answer to the naysayers -

1. Ben is right - A Transit is great if your not bothered about being legal.

2. 2 transits is x2 insurance, x2 tax, x2 drivers, x2 fuel, x2 maintanence (clutches, brakes, engine etc), and x2 as likely to be pulled over for overloading. My 7.5 tonner was cheaper to buy than a Transit, and gets better MPG whilst fully loaded.

3. I defy anyone to get a transit into a spot that my Merc wont go into. In fact, with its superior steering lock and better ground clearance, I can probably get it into tighter spots.

4. if your using a transit to pull a chipper (even a 750kgs chipper!) these days, it should by law be fitted with a tachograph.

5. you need a hgv licence to drive one? Well last time I looked, you needed a CS ticket to operate a chainsaw, but no-one complains about that....