steel strop snapped

heartwood tree tech

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair the 5 year rule applies to textiles only, metal components may be used indefinately unless failed by a loler inspector or made obsolete by new regs. The textile element on a flipline has no structural value and is there to protect hitches and other friction devices from the wire core, as well as the hands of the user. You ARE therefore entitled to use kit like this beyond the 5 year point, I was told this specifically by a loler instructor.

Having said that it seems clear that these things do have a lifespan, I have the exact same line I think, it is used regularly by one of my employees, it is 8-9 years old. I will be having a very good look at it over the next few days.

I'll report back.

How on earth is this anyone's fault but your own? If you use a piece of equipment past it's safe lifetime, it's on you, end of story. Inspections by a third party only go so far, and a good inspector would have noticed this was too old. But it's your equipment, you know the history, you should have retired it.

So what is the purpose of paying good money for a LOLER inspection????????

As Gord says. The details on the strops history are still far too vague for anyone to draw conclusions and that is definitely an old strop.

I check my gear as often as I check the tree I'm climbing. Keeps me alive and vigilant.

Everyone on here is clearly concerned and this thread is dragging on because we need the details, please.

ask questions and ill answer them

My main worry is: However old a wire-core lanyard is, how do you determine if the wire-core has corroded so much as to present a safety problem? The textile cover on both my wire-core lanyards are glued to the wire-code, so I have no way of looking to inspect.

If it is impossible to inspect for corrosion, there need to be specific retirement ages, possibly varying depending on materials (e.g. stainless steel vs galvanized steel) as well as environmental use (salt, corrosive materials).

So what is the recommended lifespan of a galvanized wire-core lanyard that has not been used in corrosive environments?