How much experience needed to go freelance?

treemeup

exactly, the guy i climb for has a pool of about 5 climber all different standards. if its a tricky one then he gets the more experienced climbers in for it. be honest and go for it. ive turned down doing rotten tree and im not losing sleep over it, he got someone with more experience and bigger balls in to do it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to push your self otherwise how do you learn just make sure you have plenty of time dont rush.

I would never have gone up 100ft trees unless i was pushed i cacked myself bad when i was 80ft up but almost right away you settle in check every thing makes sure you double secured look down look around dont freeze And what a view you get i wont do any thing over 100+ft its not profitable for small companies and they just ruin your body in time many qualifed mates who been doing this years complain about problems.

For me every time i went higher than the last i got more and more comfortable below that hight. ill never stop pushing myself but i wont do any thing im unhappy with you will loose concentration.

You cant afford mistakes it can an will kill you unless your 100% in a tree get out walk away there any plenty of others.

And what a view you get i wont do anything over 100+ft its not profitable for small companies and they just ruin your body in time many qualifed mates who been doing this years complain about problems.

I have heard people say this also, funny I just can't relate to it.

What has the height got to do with ruining your body?

Is climbing a single 100 footer more tiring than 2 fifty footers?

The only serious injuries that Ive incurred were due to carring timber or dragging brush.

Using a large saw in a tree over a long period can be tiring but that's where technique comes into play.

One thing I do believe is that some people just have a tendancy to cry and moan about injuries, aches, pains, colds and virus's thoughout there whole lives. And with some workers Ive known, the authenticity of such claims was truly laughable. These were the same individuals who were always ready to give up on a challange i.e. 'Its too big' 'To heavy' 'There's too much'!!!

Nowdays, I try to avoid working with such characters.

Maybe it's an individual thing, perhaps some people just have a very low threshhold for physical challange, and if thats the case then treework is perhaps not the best career for them.

When I was 18 I remember a climber as young as 30 telling me how much harder it gets at that age??

Work smart and size shouldn't come ito it. However, if you're just mentaly uncomfortable climbing over a certain height then that's a completely different issue altogether. Not one that many treeclimbers are willing to admit out in the open though!

Sorry if that all sounds a little blunt or ignorant, it is however an honest account of my personal experiences. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

All I use is subby climbers. I have all the insurance covered PL and EL plus Proff Ind. It's simple you come you do the job,which will include a spell being a brash rat and you get paid the agreed fee. I don't ask you to take on something I would'nt or could'nt do myself. A CV and NPTC's means nothing to me but turn up with the right gear, work and look like a climber whilst trying to avoid any damage and your 90% there. The other 10% comes when we see the real you. IE your taste in women and beer..lol

I have heard people say this also, funny I just can't relate to it.

What has the height got to do with ruining your body?

Is climbing a single 100 footer more tiring than 2 fifty footers?

The only serious injuries that Ive incurred were due to carring timber or dragging brush.

I could not agree more as soon as your 20ft up if something goes wrong your in serious trouble,I'm 38 and love climbing as much today as I did when I was 25 what I may lack in energy I can make up for with experience and love the big one, sometimes I under price them because I want to do them.I think "you don't stop doing things because you get old,you get old because you stop doing them".Give me a 120ft beech rather than a conifer hedge ever time!