Dyslexia

Stephen Blair

Those were fun, pleasant memories, reminding you of fun times. This mornings list of chores by comparison are not fun, so why would your brain want to remember them? When I work with my colleague on his jobs, I cant remember any detail about them, yet I remember vividly each and every part of my jobs, yet my role in either his work or my work is probably identical. I dont need to remember his stuff, so my brain files it in the recycle bin. Well thats how I see it anyway. As we get older, a lot more stuff goes to recycle, to make room for more new info.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Stephen, I'm Dyslexic and have the same problem as your and I'm only 20 but i have had it all my life and a stutter. The way i got round forgetting what i was doing was to write it on a pad so when i got off the phone or whatever the pad was right in front of me then i remembered what i was doing. Even now when i go to the cinema i need to write the film on a bit of paper so when i go book my tickets i know what film i want to see. I know you properly dont have time all the time. But when it comes to my paper work etc. I do it once i get and do it all at once so i dont forget where i was.

Michael, i have a pad by phone in the house then transfer it onto my phone, i do not call anyone back during the day unless it is an emergency, i wait till i get home and then copy it down and back to the phone. I now take pics of stuff instead of writing it down, i went round b and q the other day and took pics of stuff for the mrs, it had the sizes on the label, i can them just zoom it in and show her. I will also just text folk back on their mobiles if they call me first, thats the good thing with the iphone, i can cut n paste stuff rather than having to write it down on something, like an old receipt, dirt on the dash boards i even used to haze up the windows with my breath and write it with my finger lol

last year we worked out that our son, 7 yrs, is dyslexic ,school damn useless. We went to dyslexia association at nottingham for assesment and help .been told that dyslexia is passed through the male genes didnt even know that I was, have always had trouble remembering things and prefer to learn by doing ,studying isnt my comfort area did alright at school to o'levels in maths, physics geography etc but absolute crap at french german english etc.Did nc arb last year passed that because i was interested and learnt tree idents by parrot fashion want to do nd arb this next year. the bit about being untidy , yep when people interfere with my stuff or just too many piles of papers or spanners etc to wade through then I'm knackered . the answer keep things simple

Livescribe :: Never Miss A Word

It might be worth you having a look at this bit of kit. it works for me, since getting it the world of learning has opened up. there web site will give a clearer picture then i can, but in short, it put the use of wrighting, picture and audio all together. with a lot of other cool add ons.

hope you find time to look into it

I did very badly at school and was never told I was dyslexic

But since leaving school 30 years ago many people have said I am.

I have some of your symptoms but not regards reading I love reading books long or short with lots of text.

My main problem is that my six year old has better hand writing than I do

I could hardly write at school but it was never picked up. I put upper and lower case letters in the same line and I have to print things when I write or nobody can read it.

Every thing I do is on the computer which is far less embarrassing, I am right handed but people say I write backwards and start letters in the wrong place and hold the pen as if left handed.

Makes me think I should get a test done

I wrote a Christmas card a couple of months back, I struggled to do it, I never use a pen or pencil now. Everything is text, which I love because I can read it. My handwriting has always been messy or that's the label I was given and would be given lines at school to make me improve!!

but rather than beat myself up over it now I am throwing away all the labels and just accepting it's just the way I am.

I have had a great day today, not once did I feel stupid. My mind does go blank, it is embarrasing when talking to someone and then all of a sudden losing my place and not knowing what I was saying but now I just smile and say' it's gone ' lol.