V.T.A symptoms "the chatty trees"

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious as to why there is more vigorous growth (arrow) in that area and what affect it is going to have by restricting incremental growth on the left stem.
Very good question. Answer may lie (arar) in the 2 buttress roots to the left of that fold. They indicate sustainability ime.

Nice body language yes and deffo clothesline as they are known here.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an oak I'm sorting a report for. Base is a tricky one. Difficult to figure out what's causing base decay but I'm guessing its initiated by the path leading to the garden at the back which has knocked some chunks out the side. The agent judging by the body language my gut tells me Inonotus, but the lack if any scars or fruiting bodies around I'm hesitant to place it to any.

Been hit in the past. My judgement is that its easily manageable by a slight reduction and a thin to reduce the sail resistance and weight. It's the only sizeable oak around so want to keep it but just give it a bit of care.

9yny5udy.jpg

zy8ujaru.jpg

4yvynypu.jpg

e5ararus.jpg

yzy2a3ag.jpg

rob just talk about what you see, what ever else you say is only opinion and unless its supported by hard evidence it will only ever be opinion

people want things in black and white, statements for example like moribund crown apex and bifurcation of stem only make you come accross as a smart arse IMO

why reduce and thin? thats something ive never understood. you naturally thin as you reduce and you certainly dont want to remove any inner crown growth

Here's an oak I'm sorting a report for. Base is a tricky one. Difficult to figure out what's causing base decay but I'm guessing its initiated by the path leading to the garden at the back which has knocked some chunks out the side. The agent judging by the body language my gut tells me Inonotus, but the lack if any scars or fruiting bodies around I'm hesitant to place it to any.

Been hit in the past. My judgement is that its easily manageable by a slight reduction and a thin to reduce the sail resistance and weight. It's the only sizeable oak around so want to keep it but just give it a bit of care.

9yny5udy.jpg

zy8ujaru.jpg

4yvynypu.jpg

e5ararus.jpg

yzy2a3ag.jpg

Rob, is there any reason/cause for the lack of basal/root flare in the third photo?

Rob, is there any reason/cause for the lack of basal/root flare in the third photo?
Excellent question. No flare often = girdling root = instability.

Job 1 is find the flare so Rob you have some digging to do, to get a clue on what's up with that tree. Totally agree w John S re evidence v. opinion. Get more evidence.

How long ago were the 2 lower limbs removed? :thumbdown: Horrible practice--made tree topheavy, stressed roots by sudden exposure, stole nourishment that could have fought off basal rot. Flare should be clear of turf 1' at least so air can move around it.

D-1 Sample specifications for RCX (root collar examination) with hand tools

Scope: Trees with fill contacting the trunk.

Objective: Mitigate tree damage from the effects of fill on the trunk.

Specifications:

1. Rake any coarse woody debris or fresh mulch away from the root collar area.

2. Select tools to avoid root and trunk damage.

3. If a shovel or trowel is used, press the blade against the trunk. Slide it carefully downward until resistance is met.

4. Push the handle toward the trunk, moving the blade away from the trunk.

5. Remove individual adventitious roots and stem-girdling roots as needed. Manage larger roots per ANSI A300 (Part 8), 83.4 and 84.4. Avoid contact between the trunk and any remaining adventitious, girdling, and circling roots.

6. Lift the material away from the trunk and place it in a temporary staging area.

7. Repeat until trunk and flare are clear, out to the root collar, where buttress roots divide. Use smaller hand tools, vacuum, or compressed water or air, to complete the excavation.

8. Separate and dispose of any infertile soil and debris. Retain the fertile soil, fine roots, mycorrhizae, and decomposed mulch.

9. Commence the RCX (root collar examination).

10. Consider replanting the tree, if the flare is over 2 inches (5 cm) below grade.

11. Remove soil and fine roots outside of the root collar to make a gradual slope.

12. Consider installing a device to control erosion.

13. Apply 2-4 inches (5-10 cm) of mulch over the root collar. Avoid mulch contact with the flare.

14. Remove the fine roots, fertile soil, mycorrhizae and decomposed mulch from the staging area.

15. Incorporate the material into the outer rootzone.

16. Specify that future management will keep the flare visible.

D-2 Sample specifications for RCX (root collar examination) with pneumatic or hydraulic tools

1. Rake any coarse woody debris or fresh mulch away from the flare and root collar.

2. Select tools to avoid root and trunk damage.

3. Follow manufacturer’s recommendations.