Big oak. Responsibility.

raker

My folks have a large one at the bottom of their garden. It hangs over a small river.

Its a nice healthy tree of about 5` diameter at the trunk. It affords a good deal of screening from the footpath and open area across the river which has attracted a lot of chavs and other drunks, displaced from the local park by the police.

My folks are quite attached to it and rightly so, however, a lot of clearing work has started to take place the other side of the river. When questioned, the boy in charge said they were opening it up a bit as a local amenity and trimming back trees hanging over the river for H&S reasons.

My parents arent too chuffed as they havent been asked if its ok and its their tree. The bod said the branch might be rotten and needs to come out.

It isnt. No rot, no fungi, no splits, no cracks. It is a significant branch which only reaches over the river and not the path.

The people claimed to be `Natural enterprise` . I said to check with the council that there wasnt a TPO in existence for the area and the group were`nt just volunteers with a couple of McCullochs poking around where they shouldnt be.

If its legit, my old chap said he would let them get on with it, but wants the branch for firewood.

TBH if they have authority to do the work then it might be an idea to let them get on with it. But if they have it but stand a chance of wrecking the tree, then i`d sooner do it myself.

On the plus side they said they are reinforcing the riverbank at the end of the garden.Maybe its a good bit of free work.The main concern my parents have is the amount of tree work taking place their side which they really dont want because of the reasons mentioned earlier.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My folks have a large one at the bottom of their garden. It hangs over a small river.

Its a nice healthy tree of about 5` diameter at the trunk. It affords a good deal of screening from the footpath and open area across the river which has attracted a lot of chavs and other drunks, displaced from the local park by the police.

My folks are quite attached to it and rightly so, however, a lot of clearing work has started to take place the other side of the river. When questioned, the boy in charge said they were opening it up a bit as a local amenity and trimming back trees hanging over the river for H&S reasons.

My parents arent too chuffed as they havent been asked if its ok and its their tree. The bod said the branch might be rotten and needs to come out.

It isnt. No rot, no fungi, no splits, no cracks. It is a significant branch which only reaches over the river and not the path.

The people claimed to be `Natural enterprise` . I said to check with the council that there wasnt a TPO in existence for the area and the group were`nt just volunteers with a couple of McCullochs poking around where they shouldnt be.

If its legit, my old chap said he would let them get on with it, but wants the branch for firewood.

TBH if they have authority to do the work then it might be an idea to let them get on with it. But if they have it but stand a chance of wrecking the tree, then i`d sooner do it myself.

On the plus side they said they are reinforcing the riverbank at the end of the garden.Maybe its a good bit of free work.The main concern my parents have is the amount of tree work taking place their side which they really dont want because of the reasons mentioned earlier.

Any thoughts?

That bit reeks of BS. Can't you request a TPO?

from my understanding if the trees belong to your parents then without prior consultation with your parents they have no right to be cutting the trees , however if there is a specific safty reason then most La's will carry the work out under deligated powers . do your parent own everything upto and including the river bank ?

secondly i would not have given permission to do any tree work if there is a possibility of a tpo or cons area .

Right, cheers guys, just needed to bounce it off people in the know.

They havent been asked if its ok at all. Mum shouted over at them to see whats going on. My folks own everything that side of the river. Theres no seperate ownership of fishing rights or anything like that.

The guy mum spoke to said they were just going ahead with the work without asking for any permission. They didnt think they needed to.:sneaky2:

Told my folks to check with the council for any TPO`s monday and generally check everything else out. I`d be very suprised if there is`nt a restriction.

The thing that concerns my parents is if its all legit and the council have been convinced of a need for cutting back and given the go ahead for this Natural enterprise who are a `ltd` company, that any objections will result in the work being done regardless and them billed for it.

Although, when enforcement type work is carried out the owners are warned in advance, so i dont think there is a worry on that score.

If the tree i overhanging someone else's land (even council land) they have the right to cut off any overhanging branches back to the boundary, but they must offer you what ever they cut off or you can have them for theft.

If the tree is TPO'd they need council consent.

all i would ad to what Huck has said is that if in the process of cutting the tree back to their boundary they make the tree unsafe (one sided) or ause the death of the tree then you can have them for it .

How is a one sided tree unsafe???

I created 100's in my line clearance days and none of them fell over.