Ash Reduction by Glen Poole

MAX

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what i've heard on this thread it seems the Americans have the right idea to urban treecare.

Coppicing, Hedging, Pollarding etc are all throwbacks to rural farming/woodland crafts and maintaining veteren trees/natural woodlands is something altogether very different. Its a micro-niche in the industry which includes fracture cuts and coronet cutting which are interesting ideas but have little or no value when it comes to urban/residential tree care.

I'm sick of the sight of pollarded/heavily reduced trees in the UK, we pretend they are viable and praiseworthy techniques when we all know deep down its a crock of sh*t. Lets face it, its just a good way of making money, thats all.

Take pollarding....I mean, who in their right mind would want an entire city or town scape dotted with stunted fat retarded trees that have lost all their natural grace and shape due to endless pollarding?

The pic at the start of the thread highlights just how far UK arboriculture has come in the last 20 years, its just a pity all of it's been downhill.

We need a change of culture in the UK arb industry, we need to understand that if you are going have the benefits of trees in citys or towns then we have to make sure you plant a suitable species of tree for the chosen location.

I'd rather see a row of tall graceful fastigiate oaks lining a street than decrepit London Planes which are desperate to be put out of their misery.

Thank you Americans for bringing some sense to UK arboriculture.

I think there are subtle differences between the way tree management is carried out by our American colleagues, and the way its done here. But why do we have to slate these differences? Why not be constructive in the criticism, look and learn how we can all improve the way the job is done? Yes, the trees, if they could talk, would probably prefer no human intervention what-so-ever, but that is just not going to happen. Just because we have done something since time immemorial, does that make it the right way?

To see old pollards, which were done over centuries to serve mans needs, is great, but they are no longer "needed" in the old way. They are now needed as a habitat for all too rare flora and fauna.

Lets share our world-wide skills and knowledge for the better management of the trees.

Humans mess about and interfere with the natural order of things and change them to the way they want to suit their own ends.

Dog breeds is a good example, some can't even walk or breathe properly.

One human says I'll cut this tree and that's how it's supposed to be done.

What makes him right.

Everything we do to trees in unatural and against nature.

At the end of the day, if humans planted appropriate trees in appropraite places and didn't build houses and powerlines in close proximity to established trees, then we would never need to top or reduce a tree and we'd be all out of work.

The guidelines are there as guidelines, they have carried out different experiments with different cuts, studied wound wood and how trees react over hundreds of years.

They react ok to reductions provided pruning cuts are done correctly, topping, whichever way you look at it inflicts wounds on trees that they struggle to cope with.

I'm against topping and have never topped a tree in my chuff, but that's my own take on things and doesn't mean my take is correct,

The subject of topping or not topping is, once you bring it up a roundabout of ifs and buts, whys and wherefores, it's a roundabout that will never stop. Sometimes you just need to jump off every now and again otherwise it will make you ill. :001_tongue:

From what i've heard on this thread it seems the Americans have the right idea to urban treecare.

Coppicing, Hedging, Pollarding etc are all throwbacks to rural farming/woodland crafts and maintaining veteren trees/natural woodlands is something altogether very different. Its a micro-niche in the industry which includes fracture cuts and coronet cutting which are interesting ideas but have little or no value when it comes to urban/residential tree care.

I'm sick of the sight of pollarded/heavily reduced trees in the UK, we pretend they are viable and praiseworthy techniques when we all know deep down its a crock of sh*t. Lets face it, its just a good way of making money, thats all.

Take pollarding....I mean, who in their right mind would want an entire city or town scape dotted with stunted fat retarded trees that have lost all their natural grace and shape due to endless pollarding?

The pic at the start of the thread highlights just how far UK arboriculture has come in the last 20 years, its just a pity all of it's been downhill.

We need a change of culture in the UK arb industry, we need to understand that if you are going have the benefits of trees in citys or towns then we have to make sure you plant a suitable species of tree for the chosen location.

I'd rather see a row of tall graceful fastigiate oaks lining a street than decrepit London Planes which are desperate to be put out of their misery.

Yes well, its easy to say that about the US. its easy to fell any problem tree when you have a vast tree resource.

In europe our population density's are much higher, and our urban forest resource under constant threat.

If we followed your desire, there would be no urban forest left in European cities, just endless tiny Swedish whitebeam and Rowan.

You been smoking crack boy?:drunk: