Ash Reduction by Glen Poole

MAX

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glen, not everyone here is willing to accept that there is a difference between topping a tree and reducing it by pruning back to good growth points.

Looks to me like you made the best possible job of a tricky reduction. Not what I would do to my tree, but infinately better than topping or lionstailing it.

Can you show me one topping cut, I know all the branches have been prunned back to good growth points:001_cool:

So you you made proper "drop crotch" cuts. My point is it will grow back so quickly it just isn't worth doing unless (like I said) you just like to work and the client has money to waste.

Simply put, it didn't need to be done. Just ask the tree! But then again, I'm a crazy Yank!

So you you made proper "drop crotch" cuts. My point is it will grow back so quickly it just isn't worth doing unless

That's it exactly. What's the point of doing this type of pruning to trees.

This is the common practice for ornamentals,, only...

And this isn't just my opinion, it's a fact -that no good will come from this type of pruning...

No offense to you Glen, honestly...

S My point is it will grow back so quickly it just isn't worth doing unless (like I said) you just like to work and the client has money to waste.

We've all gotta live! I tell the client the pros and cons of what they want done, advise them of any better solutions, and then do what they decide they want to spend their money on.

Isnt that what we all do?

I cant believe that anyone who is in the business of cutting trees really turns down work like that because of moral or philosophical objections. If you cant cut trees with a clear conscience, then you should get a job cuddling baby orangutangs or knitting recycled newspapers into sunhats for third world refugees.

I wonder who's doing the right thing?

IMO anyone whose going out and doing an honest days work is doing the right thing.....most of the time we as climbers dont choose the spec, nor even get to talk to the clients.....but we take what we are given and work to the given specs within the best of our ability...you can do even the crappest spec work and still take pride in your job and bring money home to support your family.....thats doing the right thing

I cant believe that anyone who is in the business of cutting trees really turns down work like that because of moral or philosophical objections

I have, a few times. And that's only if the client is adamant on having it their way. I will say that with gentle persuasion and reason, they start to understand that you're the professional and what you suggest is the right thing to do...

If you cant cut trees with a clear conscience, then you should get a job cuddling baby orangutangs

Have you even hugged an orangutang lately? They're so darn cuddly!.....

Looks like you put alot of time and effort into that good job :thumbup:

I'm assuming the customer wanted more light etc so apart from a reduction like that what else could have been done? Fell.

The tree still has a nice shape, it wont die,the customer is probably well happy and there will be more work in the future.

I reckon a job well done..

Hi all, I'd like to say that i take pride in all my work. This is the way i was tought to prune back to. I make my cuts clean & correct in my opinion, I also know that every cut we make is bad for the tree, nomatter where we cut it, we all harm them. The customer is fully aware of how the tree will respond & it will be me she phones in a couple of years to maintain it at that size, I think we did a good job & the tree will be fine.