help working next to powerlines

egs

not sure what he ment. am gunna have to takes some pictures. its hard for anyone to judge with no pictures. i see if i can get some picture before i go to work tomorrow.

cheers for your opinions guys. i have better understanding of line work know from this thread. and i dont want to get frazzled.

Does that mean you are going to give it a miss?

At 3 metres its probably a simple enough job for trained/experienced power line lads but my advice is dont do it and dont believe the house holder one bit!!!!

Besides even if you dont get electrocuted but blow the lines you will get severely stung by the power company to sort it out, and your insurance wont be interested.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget it...your life is priceless. A long time ago when i didn't know any better... i nearly cooked myself working near powerlines!! Wouldn't go near the damn things unless i had personally pulled the plug out myself!!

I genuinely wake up in a sweat occasionally, thinking about that incident!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it 3 meters away to one side from the powerlines then it might be ok if your experienced. 3 meter above, or overhanging at all then no chance, but 3 meters is quite a long way for side distance. YOu wouldn't be that close the lines yourself I hope? If you were that close, like if the trunk is 3m form the lines, then I would say no way.

Remember Stevies comment in the other thread, its possible this client wants you to do it cos everyone else in the area has given him a proper price including shut down etc. If you have won the job cos you dont know what you are doing then you are being taken advantage of, and you'll never make any money to pay for all these courses. 1-2 years working with a tree company and you would know all this.

Sorry mate. Didn't know you were new to tree work. I retract my previous post. Stay well away. As Rupe says, 3m to the side easy enough. To the side and above is a big difference. 100% confidence from a climber cutting for a few years is a lot different to 100% confidence from a guy only cutting a year or so. True of all tree work, but especially so around power lines. If you aren't 100% sure, Don't do it.

well i priced it for a normally take down. just priced a little more for my time

the tree has a big union so i was going to set a rigging point from the other side of the tree so nothing touched the line.

i was just parinoid about any electric contucting through the tree. ive already been shocked when i worked over in portugal. after the rope came across the line and sent a canny shock through me. i was told it was insulated but it was still enough to get shaking. but anyway thats another story